How to send a text message to a phone number

Dian Diener

How/what needs to be setup to allow a message to be sent as a text message to someone's phone. I've done any number of sending to email addresses but not sure how to send to a phone #. Thanks so much

Just to clarify.... I need to send a text message to phone number through E1 - preferably using Send Message Extended or something similiar (the message format will be constant but the values within the message will change).

Hi,

Do you mean JDE sending an SMS message to a cell?

You have to contact your users' phone providers and ask
them what email address format they're using for SMS.

Here in Canada, these addresses usually look similar to :

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

So, if you send an email to that address, their phone
will popup an SMS message with the email you sent.
You're typically limited to 128 chars or so.

Different providers has their own format so you will have to refer there format to compose one.

Chan

Hi Dian,

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify.... I need to send a text message to phone number through E1

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify.... "This is the Off Topic / Help" board of JDEList.
There are more appropriate boards of JDEList - Developers, Thechnical.
There is further benefit to place this type of issue there, these boards are visited by more experts and more frequently.

"By the way" I am sure, somebody will be soon interested in your exact release, SP/TS level, platform, etc.
cool.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

I am not sure how E1 works or how you can do various functions, but I would guess you can send an email to someone through E1?? If so then you could send a text message to a cell phone number through an email. We do that here at my work sending a message to a cell phone number on Verizon Wireless through our Exchange Server. We issue a command from our iSeries.
ESNDMAIL RECIPIENT('[email protected]') +
SUBJECT('Decrypt Error') MSG('Decrypt +
flag NOT set for ' *CAT &FIELD *TCAT ' .')

All you need to know is what carrier the cell phone number is for and then use that carriers text address. I got these addresses from this website:
http://tinywords.com/about/mobile/

I hope this helps,
Jim Rubino
Fike Corporation

Back