How OW determines installed environments?

jpsst34

Well Known Member
I'm writing a VB app that will use some JDE functionality. It will have a login form allowing the user to choose a JDE environment and to log into JDE with their JDE username and password. I'd like to have the available environments on a dropdown list. My question is this: when you launch the OW fat client, you can click the flashlight to choose an environment. Only those environments corresponding to the pathcodes installed on your machine are displayed. How does JDE determine which environments are available? Does it scan your B7 directory looking for installed pathcodes, then match these to their environments? Are the installed environments stored in an ini file?

Thanks,

Jack,

I assume you want to use JDE functionality by using COM Wrappers.
Restriction with JDE com wrappers is you have to separately create COM wrappers for each and every environment. We are facing the same problem in our client site. We can’t move the Dev com wrapper to PY .We have to create com wrappers by using PY. It makes sense because objects will be different in every environment. So I don’t think you will be able to come with a solution for your requirement.

Yes I think JDE scans B7 directory to find out the installed path codes.

What makes you think I want to use JDE functionality through COM? Could it be the plethora of COM questions I've posted lately? ;-)

By the way, thanks for all your responses.

Although I was aware in the back of my mind that I'd have to create a seperate DLL for the same functions for each environment I want to use, I hadn't yet had to handle it. How I'm thinking to handle it follows:

Create seperate versions of each class that needs to use the COM link. Add a VB project reference to each of the libraries (one reference for each DLL for each environment). Have the initial form in the app be a login form. Depending which environment the user logs into, instantiate the class that uses the DLL for the corresponding environment. Make sense?

Back