How do I manually bring OMW projects from 8.12 to 9.0?

blevine

We're testing an upgrade from 8.12 to 9.0, and have discovered that OMW projects are not brought over. Oracle has confirmed this, and that it can be done manually, but it's not supported or guaranteed to work. Has anyone else faced this problem, and if so, were you able to overcome this issue without recreating projects?
Thanks!

Blevine,

There are many ways to bring your objects across from your legacy system to your 'prospected' system....

- You can OCM and do advanced gets, similar to the process you may already be familiar with.
- If your 8.12 system is already at a sufficient tools release, you can place objects into a project, zip the project, then import the project into 9.x. One occasional hick-up is that the object names may need to be created in 9.x before the time of the import (sometimes they get created in the F9860, some times they fail). If you create the object names, they logic under them will be imported.

Holler if you need help or more suggestions!

(db)

Hi Daniel -

Thanks for the reply.
Did you mean advanced gets from OMW?

Also, would I need a third party product to zip up the projects?

Thanks,
Barry

Have you considered using Boomerang to move projects from 8.12 to 9.0 one at a time?

Hope this helps
Aidy

Barry (et all),

Yes ~ you would OCM to your legacy system, very similar to the mappings to the Save Location. I'm not a CNC, but I've always understood it to be a fairly rudimentary process.

Once you have the OCM's mapped, you 'may' have to create like-named objects on your destination system, simply as name holders; if R55XXXX exists on the legacy system, it probably wouldn't have had the object name copied to the destination system. Create R55XXXX on the destination system, then do an advanced get from the legacy system (just like you would do an advanced get from PY or PD to DV).

Note: You may want to do "Gets" on the child objects, first (BSVWS, Functions and any dependancy objects)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saving to Zip is similar in nature. I can't recall the exact tools release that the Save to Zip option became available. If your legacy system's Tools Release is 'modern' enough ~ when you select an object / project and press the SAVE, you are given the option to Save-to-Zip or to the Save Location. If you save to Zip, the object(s) will be saved as a .PAR which is nothing more than an XML'd Zip File of the Object(s).

Once you have the .Par, you can import the objects into the destination system. Note, that you may have to create 'place holder' object names, since the Import Zip is actually a Restore process and the system expect the object names to already exists in the system (similar issue occurs with the Advanced Get from a Legacy System).

I'm trying to get my life wrapped up in the next couple weeks (I got something big happening) ~ so, I'll try to make a very solid attempt to formally document the process (with pictures / visio) on the JDEResearch site.

One fun little trick with the Save / Restore to Zip is that the process allows you to save objects at the Project Level. You can create a project on one system, create the Place Holder Object names on the Destination - then import the project. I know this will work when importing between 8.12 and 9.0 (standalones). I use the process regularly when testing.

From my experience, the 'Restore' process does not create F9860 objects. I guess that is the true reason why it is called a 'Restore' and not an 'Import' ~ being that an Import would create the F9860 records =)
grin.gif

(db)

Back