Has anyone shut-off the update of the second Item number and the catelog number to P4111

TonyK

Has anyone shut-off the update of the second Item number and the catelog number to P4111

I have run into a problem and what seems like a plausible correction but the Peoplesoft Helpdesk advises strongly against the correction.

On rare occassions, we need to made a correction to the second item number or the catelog number in the Item Master. When we do this with our current set-up, the program updates all the records in our item ledger and overwrites the time and date stamp for historical records.

I thought that I was out of the woods when I found that this update to P4111 could be turned off by using either a processing option in the Item Master program or in changing a value in UDC 40/IC.

However, the Peoplesoft helpdesk strongly advises against modifying these options "as it can cause data corruption". They cannot give me a specific example of how this corruption can occur and my IT Guy makes a good point that if they know an option can create corruption why don't they remove it as an option or at least specify this risk in their documentation.

Does anyone out there update the second item number or the catelog number without updating P4111? Or on the negative side, has anyone experience data corruption when they try to operate in this way?

Re: Has anyone shut-off the update of the second Item number and the catelog number to P4111

On the rare occasions that you change the 2nd / 3rd Item Numbers, they are right the F4111 file would not be consistent (corrupt is probably a bit strong, but...). The examples of this would be when people run jobs or QBE style "finds" over this file where they select based on either the 2nd or 3rd Item, the results would not reflect these changes. Also any interfaces/reporting tools that use these Item Numbers would also need to be considered.

Hope this gives some food for thought about NOT turning this file update off too hastily.

Regards,

Potsy

Re: Has anyone shut-off the update of the second Item number and the catelog number to P4111

Thanks for you help. Can you think of a specific example of where (which program or job) this problem would manifest. Everywhere that I look, where the user specifies the the 2nd or third Item number to find recods in 4111, the system determines the primary item number by referring to F4101 and then uses it to determine the appropriate records in F4111.

Back