Full global tables with update package

Edward_Luke

I tried this post in the developers forum, but got no responses. So I'll try here. Is there a way to include a full set of global table with an update package? I tried creating a full set and copying them to the spec directory of the update package, but they did not install. However, I do see that the package.inf says DelGlblTbl=N. I tried changing that to a Y, but all it did was delete the existing set. This is for a Citirx environment, so I don't want JITI to occur to rebuild the tables. Thanks.

I thought an update package would update Global Tables, not replace them. So
if your Citrix server has Full Global Tables before the update, they should
be Full after (with any new specs etc.). So you shouldn't need a full set of
Global Tables in an Update package.

OW733.3 Xe SP 14.2
Enterprise Server - Intel NT + Oracle 8.0.6
Client - Citrix TSE + 4 NT PC's for development

Hi Edward,
when you copy a full set of global table to the spec directory of package, you must compress again your package. Compress is possible with full package, I don't remember if is it possible with update package.
Hi Gigi
OW ERP8/Oracle 9i/SQL2000/JAS 20/Citrix xP

Edward,
You can include the Global tables as a media object in an update package. This will allow you to include them.

After you create the GLBLTBL, you should be copying them to the deployment server at: enviroment/PACKAGE/full package name/SPEC. You then have your "FAT" clients delete the GLBLTBL from their workstations. The next time they log on, the new tables will be "pulled down".

I -always- recompress my parent package after each update. I then copy the bin32, spec and res directories to our CITRIX servers. One of our network gurus developed a batch program that is run on the deployment sever to do this. The changes take effect on CITRIX when is is re-booted each night as part of the backup procedure.

Thanks Remotef24. Sounds like this is what I want to do. Problem is, I can't figure out how to add the two files to the package as media objects. How do you do that? While building and defining the package, I don't see where that is done. Thanks for your help.

From Package assembly appl (P9601) use the form exit for Features. Create your feature package as a file set. You will need to have already created your global tables I would recommend putting them in a seperate shared directory as well. Then when you assemble your package select this feature as a media object.

This is covered in the OneWorld Packge Management Guide. The section on features is around page 140.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

Re: RE: Full global tables with update package

Carl, It appears to me that when you build an update package that includes a table change, the package inf file automatically sets parameter DelGlblTbl= to Y. This is why my full set of global tables is getting deleted on my Citrix servers. I did some testing and found that even though I change the inf parameter to DelGlblTbl=N, the glbltbl files do not get updated with the change. Only the ddclmn, ddtabl, ddpkeyd and ddpkeyh get updated. That is why I need to include a full set with my update package. Several people have directed me to include it as a file set in the features of the package and that is what I am working on now. Also, some folks suggested putting the full set in the spec directory of the update package and recompressing. I must be missing something, because I don't believe you can compress update packages. Someone correct me if i am wrong here.

Just wanted to update everyone on what I found. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi Edward,
We recently had something similar with a Terminal Server machine. We ended up running R92TAM and R98CRTGL on a workstation to create a full set of spec files, then physically copied these files to the spec folder on the Terminal Server. This worked, and we don't have JITI on the Terminal Server.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I understand I could do that. But we have 16 Citrix servers that we send update packages to weekly. I don't want to have to separately go to each server after the update install and copy the files. That's why I want them included in the update package. Thanks.

I just want to make one final note to this thread now that I have been succesful in adding a full set of global tables to an update package.

Thanks to everyone's direction, I accomplished it by creating a file set of the glbltbl.*** files and including this file set in the features section of an update package. One CNC note for those of you who may try this. (Guess this is the beginning of my Top Ten CNC Hint's from another thread going on right now). If you include a table in your update package, the package.inf file will have an entry DelGlbltbl=Y. You must change this to DelGlbltbl=N, or the file set of full global tables you just installed get immediately deleted. Kind of defeats the purpose of the including the feature, huh?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Back