Fed Ex Interface

Jay

Has anyone tried to interface the Federal Express shipping system with JD Edwards. What was the scope of integration? We need to interface Fed Ex with JDE XE to pass information like tracking # & freight charges to JDE.

Thanks,
Jay
OW - XE, SP 20

We haven't integrated FEDEX yet, but we have integrated UPS Worldship. For
UPS we send all of the shipping information for a shipment to the UPS
machine. In UPS Worldship we prompt for a shipment number that ties
everything together. At EOD processing in UPS we send all of the shipping
information back to JDE. We run a UBE in JDE that reads the information and
ship confirms everything that was sent UPS that day.

Feel free to email me directly if you would like more details.

Ellen Deak
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Elkhart Products Corporation
B7333 SP 18.1 Rev 0
AS/400 V4R5M0

We have partially integrated with FedEx. This is the approach we took and it uses custom programming. During the sales order process the users have an additional screen to check off special services for the order (Such as COD, Hold at Location or insurance...). This data is collected in a custom tag file to the F4201. Then during the packing process there is a Pack Confirm status - this gathers the shipping data such as the full address, the features selected and the cost of the package... and updates a custom ship file. This file contains the Pick Slip number. The pick slip number is used by FedEx as the key to retrieve the data. FedEx, unlike UPS and Airborne can write directly back to a database file. We have it update our ship file. During the Ship Confirm process data (such as the air bill number) is pre populated and confirmed in the ship confirm screens. We use this process for Airborne and UPS as well but since they cannot update the database directly, we're working on the process for them to populate our files separately (they can append records to a file). You can contact me off line if you want more detail.

Re: RE: Fed Ex Interface

Ellen if you would care to share, I'd be interested in the UBE's logic. We cannot wait for an EOD process and will have to collect the data real time (we ship confirm each order as it is processed). Can you contact me with some of the details? This is on my ToDo list.
Thanks -
dg

Ellen,
Is there a Z file that you are using for sending the information between UPS and Edwards? Right now we use a product called 'ClipperShip' for shipments but it cannot 'talk' directly to Edwards. We ended up writing stored procedures(that ClipperShip calls) to update the status of the item being shipped ( we had created a status for ClipperShip), to write out to a tracking file we created and to insert a shipment line into the 4211 and 42199. Everything appears to be working fine doing this, however some of my coworkers went out to Focus and found out that what we are doing is highly frowned upon by Edwards and so we are looking for alternatives.

RE: RE: Fed Ex Interface

We created a custom table that the UPS information streams into via ODBC.
Then we wrote a custom UBE that reads the information from the table and
runs Ship Confirm (advances status to 570 and adds the freight charge),
fills in some additional information in another custom table and finally
runs a packing list (R42530 which advances the status again).

We also tie all of the order lines in a shipment together with a shipment
number (generally stored in the URAB field in various tables). We have code
in the processing to make sure that all of the order lines in a shipment are
advanced to the proper status. If not, it will stop processing the entire
shipment.

We then provide an interactive aging screen so that people can view
shipments with lines that have been stuck at 560, 570 or 580 for more than
two days. Someone checks this every day and checks into why something didn't
advance to the next status and processes the shipment manually.

Ellen Deak
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Elkhart Products Corporation
574.264.3181 x282

Hey, first thanks for the time.

We are implementing Worldship and I've been tasked to send and recieve data. I have so many questions, is there any document you can recomend. Most of my questions now revolve around what table and dd items are used in JDE to send data to and return datafrom Worldship

Once again thanks a ton!

Re: RE: RE: Fed Ex Interface

Hi

I have to do the same thing for Fedex. I was wondering if you could tell me how you added the freight line. Do you go back and update order dollar buckets and the the total order value?

thanks

Carol

Back