F4201 vs. F42019

Diana_Apple

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me the advantage of moving closed Sales Order header records to F42019. Two members of my IT team insist this will prevent an order from being reused after it has been cancelled or closed. Is this true, especially when every line on the order has been cancelled? This would be the only reason we would want to use this method.

My biggest concern is that we have been on JDE since 1998 and all our custom programs and our SHOWCASE reports/queries were set up to only use F4201. I don't mind fixing the custom RPG programs, but those SHOWCASE programs are a different story.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
It's move automatically..there is no need to Move

Thanks & Regards
Satish
JDE 8.11

There are generally two reasons to move all closed sales orders to history - both the header and the detail. The first reason is that when the closed detail lines sit in the F4211, the logical indexes for that file become huge and slow down processing of programs like Ship Confirm, Pick Slip Print, and Delivery Note print (all which work off the F4211). This is especially a problem if you use Lot Control or Serial Numbers. The processing time can become onerous.

The second reason is security. Once the Header and Detail are moved to history, it is true that SOE (P4211) can no longer open the order, though Customer Service Inquiry can see all the information. Even though all the order lines are cancelled or completed, if the Header is still in the F4201, a crafty CSR can add new lines to the order, print a pick slip, and fake a shipment. I saw this happen many years ago. At the same company, the CSRs were also putting "add-on" lines to the order that the customer did not order, picking and shipping the parts, and then cancelling the add-on lines after delivery driver left. This was "doable" because the P4211 did not have correct Processing Options set to secure shipped lines.

In my years of doing reporting on JDE, I find the Sales Order Header to be rarely used (except as a join to group detail lines together). The meat of the real information is in the detail lines, so I wouldn't worry about your queries heavily using the header data.

Being live on the system since 1998, I recommend doing a huge purge of Header and Detail records to history ASAP. This can be done with the stand alone program or a Processing Option in Sales Update (P42800). The programs are smart enough to not move a Header record that has open Detail lines, as the programmer knows that once the Header record is moved to History, the order can not be accessed in the processing programs any longer.

Good Luck,
Paul

Although I am sending this post late but F42019 is an important file - Sales Ledger inquiry P42025 program runs with F42019 as the primary file - when you inquire on an order and enter 6 in the opt field, the program creates a credit memo. If your company is using this features, the file is important.

Back
Top Bottom