ECO

rekblad

Well Known Member
We are interested in experiences with implementing ECO. The client is a make-to-order and assemble-to-order company and managing BOM changes has too many people too busy. Can ECO deliver in terms of quality and time-savings?
Any comments about how users respond to it? and how it was to implement?
We expect the engineering group to be the main users, are these the right people?

I too would be interested in any feed back as we have the same situation and are looking at implementing the ECO module. The only constraint we have found so far is setting up the approval groups - which is difficult as our approval groups are based on product families & such.

Rob,

Good question, but I am unable to offer much help. I have never seena client implement ECO's. I generally view the JDE solution as quite poor because it does not handle Revision Coding very well. Clients who are serious about Change Control generally have a sophisticated third party system such as Documentum or Agile (the latter has a standard interface to JDE). These systems can handle all kinds of Document Control including Bom's and Routes.

JDE can only update BoM's and NOT Routes. I have not recommended the JDE ECO system to any users who already have an external Change Control Software.

Can ECO deliver in Terms of Quality and Time Savings? Again, I don't think so. However, these aren't good questions. If you are after some kind of FDA or ISO 9001 validation of your Business you may feel it appropriate to indulge in FORMAL Engineering Change Control so you can Track the changes and authorise them. If everyone uses it properly with the correct discipline then it can be an aid to quality as long as you prevent users from updating Bom's directly. Again, a JDE weak point, there will be certain things ECO's cannot update meaning that someone always has access to do a direct update.

Does it save time? No, I don't think so. I wouldn't implement an ERP system to save time. It is a question of control. Any Engineering/Drawing department used to doing things on paper are going to have a massive cultural shock if they have to move to JDE ECO's. They will be very slow at it at first.

It will be Engineers and Drawing Department people who will use this. Who else did you think of? I think it should be quite simple to implement as it is not that big or sophisticated. I just think there may be better ways of doing this.

Back