Do we need to generate a table when one of its DD items definitions changes?

Gov

Hi,

Do we need to Generate the table when one of its DD items definitions were changed??

Scenario :

Today I changed one custom DD item's length from 2 to 3 ( string). I found that this change has been reflected in all parts of tables and applications. But when I tried to insert a value in to this DD item of the table, it wasnt allowed me till I generate that table. Can any one explain why should we generate table when DD definitions are changed??

Gov, when you change a DD item that is going to be used in a table you must regen the table if it changes the attributes of the data item. You will be able to use the data item as is in ERW, creating business views etc. but it is going to use the definition from the table. In your case you changed the DD item to go from 2 to 3, so when your UBE goes to insert a record it is going to try to format the field as 3 char, but when it gets to the table definition on whatever platform you are on the database takes over and will stop an incorrect write. Certain things you can change in a data item but not anything that pertains to basic attributes that are at the control of the database. Hope this helps. If not I can try to explain better. Thanks, Angelis

Back