• Welcome to the upgraded JDELIST forum and thank you for your patience.
    Please restrict discussions and issues regarding the new forum software to the Off Topic forum. We will be monitoring that forum for issues.
    If you have trouble logging in, please reset your password using the forgotten password form: https://www.jdelist.com/community/index.php?lost-password/
    If you are unable to successfully reset your password, please contact us: Click here!
    We hope that you enjoy the upgraded forum.
  • Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Debugging with Patwel's Object Browser

travtone

Member
Hello Everyone...

I was trying to debug a BF via Object Browser via the steps presented by DB in in an earlier thread. I performed the following -

1. Opening the BF in ObjectBrowser
2. Setting up the BF to run locally via Object Browser and plugging in the values to pass.
3. Opening the .c file in VS and setting break points in the BF.
4. Attaching VS to ObjectBrowser.exe
5. Hit Execute in Object Browser but the break points are never hit.

After that I ended up trying to pull the BF into OMW, checking it out and doing a BusBuild on it but no luck..

Can anyone help me out please and point me in the right direction?

Thank You!!
 
When you performed BusBuild from OMW, did you change the mode to Debug? It's the combo box in the tool bar that will default to Optimize.

Craig
 

travtone

Member
Hi Craig,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't change to debug at that time.. However, I just did the following -

1. Checked out BF in OMW.
2. Went into BFD and selected BusBuild. I changed the drop list from Optimize to Debug.
3. I clicked Build and received the following -

Microsoft Visual Studio Version being used: 9
Processing user defined build tools.

Generating Makefile: c:\e812\DV812\obj\CBUSPART.mak
Makefile generated.

Building business functions.

************CBUSPART************

jdertdll.c
Creating library c:\e812\DV812\lib32\CBUSPART.lib and object c:\e812\DV812\lib32\CBUSPART.exp
msvcrtd.lib(cinitexe.obj) : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
Microsoft (R) Manifest Tool version 5.2.3790.2075
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation 2005.
All rights reserved.

Adjusting DLL load addresses . . .


************Build Finished************

CBUSPART.dll - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s): Built successfully.

4. I still opened object browser and brought the BF function and put into Test Function.
5. I opened VS and opened the .C for the BF and set break points; I get a red outlines circle with a yield sign and it says "The breakpoint will currently not be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document", but I still attached to ObjectBrowser.exe
6. I filled out the parameters in object browser for testing the function and hit execute and the breaks were never hit.

Not sure where to start next. I appreciate any help.
 
OK, so older JDE version by far. Maybe attach to process doesn't work. Try File->Open Workspace and choose the ObjectBrowser.exe. Also, clear any existing breakpoints. Guessing here.

Craig
 

travtone

Member
Craig,

Thanks for trying.. I also have an environment in 9.1 that I work in and the process doesn't work there. I appreciate your help and hopefully I will be able to figure out some other method to debug BFs in JDE

Thanks again.
 

travtone

Member
Craig,

Thanks for trying.. I also have an environment in 9.1 that I work in and the process doesn't work there. I appreciate your help and hopefully I will be able to figure out some other method to debug BFs in JDE

Thanks again.
 

travtone

Member
Craig,

I got it to work in both 8.12 and 9.1, my steps are as follows -

1. Logged into E1 and through OMW, pulled in my BF into my Default Project and checked it out.
2. Selected the BF under my Default Project and then selected Design.
3. This is the step I was probably missing before or maybe you have to do them both.. However, I was originally selected Busbuild Standalone and then changing to Debug and building and the break points were never hit. I figured, this time around I would just select Build Business Function instead. So I did and it was on Debug and built the BF.
4. I then opened Object Browser, found the BF I wanted to Debug and put into "Test Function" mode.
5. I then opened VS; I'm using VS 2008 in 8.12 and VS2010 in 9.1, and opened the .C file for my BF.
6. In VS I then attached to the ObjectBrowser.exe by selecting Debug --> Attach to Process.
7. I then set my break points in the .C file
8. Plugged in the values in my BF within the Test Function of Object Browser and hit Execute.
9. My breakpoints were now being hit and I can successfully debug the BF in 8.12 or 9.1.

Thank you.. I hope maybe this will help others that have questions. I'm just a newbie trying to learn.
 

losthiker

Member
I use Object Browser to debug BSFN's all the time. It is very useful. The instruction posted this is thread will work if you follow them step by step. Also build your BSFN locally before debugging. Package builds will build them in the Optimize mode.
 
Top