Data Selection - ways / means

Euroboy

Hello All

I am developing a UBE that will have three sections all based over different tables / business views. Now the USer can data selection ahppily over the first / main section. But they also may want to 'data select' over the other two tables (in the other two sections). Now the way I could do it is

1: To add Processing Options
and then use these in Data Selection via Event Rules.
But I dont like the idea in this case because I would have to know up front which fields to add to the PO's and how many of each (in case they want to have a list of values).

2. I could use Use Data Selection from another section.
For this I could set up another report (a diiferent name to the one I am writing) that does'nt actually run but will be set up for defining data selection.

I'm not keen on this either as the System Function 'Use Data Selection fom another section' needs to have the version explicily defined - its not runtime capable. So that means I would have to write ER's for all versions created. Not a good idea, and even if I did go down this path I would have to create the versions up front. I'm not doing that!! I'll be here forever.

Another problem here I may have is that Users can set the data selection of an UBE at runtime, but they cant change it outright - the object would have to be checked out to enable outright change of data selection. The data selection needs to be changed outright as the data selection of Report B will be determined by running Report A.

So can anybody tell me how they have done what I am looking for. Which is to be able to have User Data Selection possible on two or more sections using different tables.

As far as I know, it's just not possible to allow users to data select over more than the primary section of the report. When faced with this type of requirement, I typically try to get as many of the fields the user wants into the primary business view (maybe take another look at your tables and see if you can get more of them together in one view) and then use processing options for the rest. Another option I might take is to create 2 separate reports - report A builds all the data into a work file (with whatever initial data selection the user can perform) and report B is based on the work file, allowing the user data selection on all fields. Finally, I might choose to split the report into 3 separate reports, if the data sets are really that different.

It all depends on the size of the tables, the number of fields the user wants to data select on, etc. I usually don't accept what they tell me at face value, i.e. "I need to be able to data select on all the fields" - in my experience, it's very rare to have people data selecting on more than 5 or 6 fields, so I try to push them to think about what's really important to them.

Back