E9.2 Custom NER Not Returning Values

This is where I've mapped the PO to a variable on the parent form:

1682950847536.png

However, that variable doesn't appear for mapping when I look at the parent properties:

1682950925448.png

This is where I've mapped the PO to a variable on the parent form:

View attachment 19648

However, that variable doesn't appear for mapping when I look at the parent properties:

View attachment 19649
Hi Jeff,

That var won't become avail for mapping until you've selected a destination var of a compatible datatype if I'm not mistaken. If you highlight cFirstTimeFlag on the lower right you should see your cFiscalDatePattern variable in the list.

I think this is what you are looking for, if I've oversimplified and been presumptuous on this suggestion I apologize in advance!

Hi Jeff,

That var won't become avail for mapping until you've selected a destination var of a compatible datatype if I'm not mistaken. If you highlight cFirstTimeFlag on the lower right you should see your cFiscalDatePattern variable in the list.

I think this is what you are looking for, if I've oversimplified and been presumptuous on this suggestion I apologize in advance!
Dave,

That allowed the variable to show up in the mapping tab. Sometimes, I feel like such a moron!

Now I see this:

1682972884016.png

I changed the NER back to using the variable on the subform instead of the SI, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The second subform (referenced in screenshot) is still not using the value in that form variable. In addition, the debugger now shows no value in that variable, even when executing on the first subform, whereas before it showed that it was populated. I'm very tenacious, but I must confess that I am about ready to declare defeat on this one.

That allowed the variable to show up in the mapping tab. Sometimes, I feel like such a moron!

I changed the NER back to using the variable on the subform instead of the SI, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The second subform (referenced in screenshot) is still not using the value in that form variable. In addition, the debugger now shows no value in that variable, even when executing on the first subform, whereas before it showed that it was populated. I'm very tenacious, but I must confess that I am about ready to declare defeat on this one.
I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't done the same thing myself countless times :) Not a moron!

And if I may offer some advice, rather than declare defeat, step back and table this issue. If you're at all like me, the solution will come to you in a day or 2, while you're showering or about to fall asleep, or in a dream. Good luck!

Powerforms can get pretty unwieldy pretty quickly. I have a whole design pattern/paradigm that I put in place and use with Powerforms to keep it all straight.

I know I probably suggested using a VA instead of an SI as sort of a troubleshooting thing so I hope I didn't lead you down a more complicated road. You should be able to pass the SI directly into the function parameter. I do it all the time, so to keep things simple I would just use the SI directly on the subform(s). The bigger limitation really comes down to what you can map to an SI from a parent. You can't map an FI to an SI for example which is why on the parent you often have to save certain variable types to a VA in order to map to a child. You can think of SI variables very much like FI variables. They have a similar scope and lifetime. But the SI on the child will not be populated until the parent calls "Notify Child" (either for all children or for each child) and the child can then respond to the notified by parent event and use the variable. So make sure the parent is calling "Notify Child<All Children>" or there is a "Notify Child<subform1>", "<Notify Child<subform2>". On each child use the SI in the "Notified by Parent".

There is another Powerform construct or mechanic that you could use as an alternative to the "Notified by Parent" Event. I have used it in the past and found it had limitations so I instead use my whole Powerform design pattern that I put in place. But just so you are aware, you can create subform "functions" that can be called from the parent. So on each subform you could create a "set_col_headings" function, then on the parent you would still need to call Notify Child but then from the parent you could call each subform's "set_col_headings" function. You might find that less confusing. Again I have only used this Powerform feature a few times and didn't like it so I am not the most knowledgeable about it. But you might find it works better.

To get started In FDA with the Subform selected: Form|Create|Function
Capture1.JPG

Then on the parent look under the "Subform Functions" system functions and you should see the option to call a subform function (this sentence used "function" way too many times to make any sense...).

Capture2.JPG

This is all great information, Brian. This is an aspect that I really want to get more familiar with. I've actually found that my current problem may go deeper than just trying to pass values from a parent to a child. One of the subforms doesn't use the same processes that the others do, so it doesn't directly use the parent variable that I initiated with a new Processing Option. It does call a custom NER, however, which then calls a couple levels of standard BSFNs and somewhat invalidates everything I was trying to do. For each bit of knowledge gained and progress made, I get foiled by the original designer's methodology.

Back