Citrix Server (Separate Installs DE/QA/PROD)

indianyogi

List,

I have been closely reading all posts about Citrix servers and ways to automate the process for development through batch files.

In my organization, we have separate installs for DEV/QA and Production. DEV/QA pathcode are present on one Dep server and PROD pathcode is present on a separate DEP server.

The issue is here that installations cannot co exist for DEV/QA and prod at the same time. We cannot use snapshot also, because any developer running snapshot to restore dev would end up breaking linkage to prod.

What I am trying to do is if it's possible within the app\registry\ini to change the location or name of jde.ini? I was thinking if this could be done natively we could create something like the following and point each instance to the appropriate .ini file.
U:\windows\jdedev.ini
U:\windows\jdeqa.ini
U:\windows\jdeprod.ini

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yogesh

I realize that this does not answer your problem but I would really like someone to convince me why a company would want to admin two separate E1 installs. That, in essence, is what you get when you have two deployment servers. I have heard some try to explain this kind of setup by talking about production isolation, etc. but I find it bizzare.

Brother,

There is no right or wrong answer for this question. Although it is bizzare, it is one of the things you end up doing, when you are running a big organization and are under audits every second week.

Production isolation is the best way to wave any concerns of unrestricted access to production. As you know, it is a control that is part of SOX audits now, and it really makes it simple for the auditors to mark us compliant on this control on an organization level, rather than making them walk through tons of reports and script outputs per application to prove that developers do not have access to production.

As I said, there is nothing right or wrong about it, but definitely, it makes life worse, when separate installs have to be done for ERP software.

Thanks
Yogi

Back