Changing Primary Unit of Measure?? (ughhh)

Aarto

Aarto

Reputable Poster
Hi all!

At the site i'm working on, the primary Unit of Measure was set up in Metric tons. Now they are investigating setting up a company in US (in the same environment) and sell same products in Gallons (GA)
The conversion is, roughly, 1 TM = 0,003212 GA

They could live with the rounding of quantities but the problem is that they use Kits with multiple components (for example a blend of oils is 33% product 1 and 67% product 2)
This causes all kinds of problems in Ship confirm ("quantities must balance")
I'm just about ready to hunt down and hang the consultant who gave them the advice to set the primary UOM to TM as they already had sales for kilograms)

Anyway, the only solution i can see (getting rid of Kit processing is not an option) is to change the Primary UOM to KG (kilogram) OR to create new items.
I am investigating the avenue of changing the Primary UOM. Has anyone had any experiences with this? I have read the document in Knowledge Garden and am pretty fly with the JDE data model but nothing beats advice from someone who's been there..

ERP 8, WinNT server, MSSQL, Citrix

All items are set up us packed (although the ECS flag in ON)
We are using
- Transportation (No Loads, only shipments)
- Kits (single-level only)
- Sales and Purchasing
- Financials G/L, A/R and A/P

Regards.....

Hi Aarto,
We changed the primary unit of measure on a few items and ran into one problem we never did solve. The As Of processing does not consider the unit of measure; it assumes the primary U/M is constant so the quantities at different units of measure really play havoc with it.
I will end up dumping the prior year's AS Of data at some point.
Good luck,
Dave

Hi Dave

I thought there would be a catch with As-Of.. (there always is :)
We are probably changing from a Metric ton to Kilos so i have two options

1. Update F41112 manually. New quantity = Old quantity/1000 (Have to update all 12 columns for each record)

2. The transaction volume is quite low, so i believe we should just run R41542 in Regenerate mode after the Primary UOM is changed. This will clear the F41112 and should recreate it with the new Primary UOM

Thanks for your feedback...

Regards...

Aarto,

running R41542 will make the As Of File corrupt again because it is based on the cardex and there metric ton will be written in the transactionfile.

Reconsider also changing/adapting following files:

F4105 Product Costing is in primary unit of measure
F41061 Supplier Item Prices if the purchasing unit of measure changes too.
F4115 Item History
F3002 Bill of Material Master

Probably I am forgetting a lot of other tables, like advanced pricing and the sales tables.

My advice is to create new items and face the fact that there is a breach in the history. The chance of getting into trouble is very big in my opinion. We have changed the primary unit of measure in the past and came to the conclusion that new items have to be created.

Good luck.

Thanks for your comments

The client has, wisely, decided not to change the Primary UOM.
In stead, they will create new items as needed. (insert sigh of relief here)

Regards....

Back