Changing next numbers

jlesins1

Hi,
The next numbers for requisition and purchase order in procurement are getting close to each other and our purchasing department has asked that we change the next numbers for requisitions from 19000 to 50000 so that its easier to recognize the difference between the two document types. What do I need to do the make this change and is there anything I should watch out for or need to know before making this change? Please help
smile.gif

Why do you care about their number?
Don't you have different Order Types for reqs (OR) and for orders (OP)?

Hi.

that depend on how did you setup next numbers. It could be setup by company, document type and fiscal year, or by simple next numbers by system.

type in fast path nn
then If they are setup by document type, company and fiscal year, go to form exit and choose this option, query by company and document type, and setup the proper value in the counter.

If they are setup simply by system, choose row of system 42 and lookup for the proper cabinet of your counter and setup the proper value.

**** If you are not sure what are you doing, try this first in a PY environment

Procurement would like to be able to visually tell the difference between a requisition and a purchase order just by looking at its number.

Typically, JDE doesn't recommend having intelligence in=A0numbers.=A0=A0How ever, organizations will modify the next number program to increment differ ently by document type.=A0 Which, the document type is really the way you w ant to separate PO's from requisitions. =0A=0A=0A=0A=0A

[ QUOTE ]
Hi.

that depend on how did you setup next numbers. It could be setup by company, document type and fiscal year, or by simple next numbers by system.

type in fast path nn
then If they are setup by document type, company and fiscal year, go to form exit and choose this option, query by company and document type, and setup the proper value in the counter.

If they are setup simply by system, choose row of system 42 and lookup for the proper cabinet of your counter and setup the proper value.

**** If you are not sure what are you doing, try this first in a PY environment

[/ QUOTE ]

We are using EnterpriseOne, 8.12, and I do not see the options you refer to on the Form exit.
Currently, two of our doc types (OP & OG) are pulling from the same bucket of numbers, but the Direct Ship orders pull from a different bucket. We would like them all to pull from the same bucket.
[OG orders are for materials purchased for the in-house facilities - gloves, grinding discs, markers, etc.; OP orders are for jobs/projects sold to a customer]

Our sales order numbers are also pulling from separate buckets and we do not want this.

I guess I am looking for the option to tell it to pull by system, not doc type.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
~Kelli

Once you have validated what bucket of next number you want to use, (nn
system 42), then you assign it in the activity rules for your document in
the field marked "Order Type Next Number".

Guy Robert
Syntax.Net

We do the same here at DMC; however, my nine years BA experience with JDE; as well as, my "pre-Business Analyst" 25 year career as a Manufacturing Buyer, has convinced me to pursue recommending elimination of OR Purchase Requisitions from the value stream here.

Purchasing can easily accomplish the same thing, in a one document environment as a two document environment, and in a lot less time and headaches. An OP order can be electronically queued for approvals instead of a requisition.

At my previous enterprise, we only used requisitions for non-inventory items. An OP order would be created based on the manual requisition received for these non-inventory items.
The Materials Director instituted procedures that the Buyers could only generate purchase orders for inventory items with current valid requirements loaded in the system, so they were forced to generate purchase orders from MRP Planning Action Messages. These OP orders were then queued for approvals.

Non-inventory items required hard copy requisition with approval signature(s) which the Buyers in turn would create purchase orders in the system. The Materials Director was the final approval point on everything.

And with large number of outside processing purchasing orders generated from work order creation, they could have never been able to keep it all straight if OR and OP orders were both in the mix.

Elimination of purchase requisitions certainly lessens the convolution of procurement workflow. In my current assignment, as I work up this proposed change to our work flow, Operations management is already seeing the potential lean impact.

Back
Top Bottom