Changing JDE user password

Niallo32

Hi, Does anyone have a How-to document or easy steps on how to change the JDE user password?

I've been told that you change to change the password in a number of places

Thanks

What is your Enterprise Server? I think I have the process documented with screen shots for the I-Series. The process is somewhat cumbersome if all of your users use the JDE User for their system user. Basically you need to change the following:

1) The password on the enterprise server
2) The password in the jde.ini on the enterprise server
3) The password in the P98OWSEC

*** If all users use the system user JDE to connect to the enterprise server, you will need to change the System User Password as well. This password needs to be changed for all users if you are on XE/ERP8 and only one time if you are on 8.9 and above.

I think that is basically it. Feel free to call or email me with any further questions.

Hi Niallo32,

Attached (you'll need to go to the website) is an article I wrote for JDEtips. Toward the end of the article, I addressed that issue.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Attachments

• 99074-Ask Mister Solution Explorer Guy458.pdf
    320.3 KB · Views: 559
On a different note... I wrote a white paper on three different remote development strategies: using Citrix, using VMware, or using a remote Fat Client farm. I included a step by step procedure for each approach, hardware and software costs of each approach, pros and cons of each approach. Also in the white paper are seven different remote access solutions for users to consider. This white paper will be part of the November issue of JDEtips Journal. I have also submitted the paper to Quest as a possible conference topic. Do you guys think that that would be a good topic for Quest Collaborate 06?

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Taken from the white paper:
[ QUOTE ]
JDEUSA ID – We have an ID in the CNC admin group, JDEUSA. This ID is equivalent to JDE in both the application and the database.
When you create a user ID, you have to associate the ID (within
JDE) to a database ID. Every user in the system uses this ID to communicate with the database.
Changing THAT password would be very painful, because every user associated with that ID would have to be revised to match the new password. It is that little twist that people are referring to when they say that changing the JDE ID is painful. We never, ever, ever change the JDEUSA user’s password.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where things get confusing. The important thing to remember is that this only holds true in XE/ERP8. In 8.9 and above the ability to change the System User (proxy between the sign on user to EnterpriseOne and the database) password is held within application P980001. This is a single point change that will affect how every user connects (assuming they all use the same System User).

Which leads me to my next point... There is great debate on the pros/cons of having just a single System User to connect to the Enterprise Server for all users. JDE/PSFT/Oracle has flipped on this issue many times and now seems to leave it open to the individual company to determine their own requirements. I will address pros/cons of each:

Single System User
Pro
Easy to setup and maintain

Cons
Cannot use any Database Security on this user without affecting ALL users. Example - I want to put Database Security on table F0000 for user X that is my System User. All users use this same System User. Therefore the DB security would affect every user in Enterprise One.

Multiple System Users
Pro
I can setup Database Security for my individual proxy users without going back to EnterpriseOne to do it. I can block tables or libraries/databases by simply removing access to it on the database side.

On the I-Series this becomes an even greater advantage as I can easily determine which user is running which job instead of every user coming across as the System User.

Cons
More difficult to setup and maintain.

My personal belief is that it is better to have multiple System Users but that should really be addressed on a case by case basis.

[ QUOTE ]
Multiple System Users
Pro
I can setup Database Security for my individual proxy users without going back to EnterpriseOne to do it. I can block tables or libraries/databases by simply removing access to it on the database side.

On the I-Series this becomes an even greater advantage as I can easily determine which user is running which job instead of every user coming across as the System User.

Cons
More difficult to setup and maintain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn - that sounds great, but a big factor to consider (or for a client to consider) is the number of end-users. In my case, I have over 4000 users spread over four, and soon five, countries all accessing my servers. Individual SQL ids would be impractical.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

[ QUOTE ]
My personal belief is that it is better to have multiple System Users but that should really be addressed on a case by case basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be in one of the cases where I would say to NOT use multiple System Users!
grin.gif

Although... You could still segment out system users by group...
ie HRUSER, MFGUSER, etc.
tongue.gif

Seriously though, it is definitely an individual company's decision. I just wanted to point out that not everyone approaches this issue the same way so it may be a more/less complicated issue. I also wanted to make the point that 8.9 and above make it much easier to change the System User password.

[ QUOTE ]
Although... You could still segment out system users by group...
ie HRUSER, MFGUSER, etc.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We segment out by Countries. If there is a specific person or process that we need to track, we'll segment that out as well. For example, I have a service account that we use for running a specific set of sales update jobs. That user account has it's own SQL proxy ID. That makes it stick out from the crowd. I agree with your point. There are times I would love to know which specific user is running a process. We occasionaly will have someone submit a large open ended query. It would be great to figure out who did that so that we can educate them on how to better utilize the system (and to send a snotty-gram if they continually do that.....
grin.gif
)

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Hi Niallo32,

Attached (you'll need to go to the website) is an article I wrote for JDEtips. Toward the end of the article, I addressed that issue.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
I was looking for the steps to change the password.
I cannot do it directly.

Back