LDSI Consulting
Scott Whipple
Consultant
5300 DTC Parkway Suite 430
Englewood, CO. 80111
Off. 303-740-5500
Cell 303-885-1405
Fax 303-843-0227

There are many ways of doing this. If you are simply trying to run a specific executable, then I'd use the System Function, "Run Executable" under the General Folder in System Functions.

I've used this quite a bit if I simply need to kick off a script at the end of a canned report, etc and I don't want to add extensive modifications to the object.

- Scott

Szuke,
Great idea, I am aware of this system function but I am looking for
something that I can pass variables into the external applications data
structure. thanks though for your response.
Scott

Re: RE: Call external Application

Read the code of B34A1030, it has the two methods I'd suggest: "system()", and "CreateProcess()". The comments in the code even describe why CreateProcess is disabled in favor of System.

Both methods accept parameters, read about them in the MS helps for the particulars.

Good Luck!

Hello All,

I'm looking into doing something similar right now. I want to add a Row Exit button to lauch an external app.

I created a form with two push buttons. One calls an app using the System Function "Run Executable," the other calls the same app using the BSFN "B34A1030."

It seems that the former works better, as it allows me to pass up to 3 parameters to the app. Also, the latter launches a Command window (on my NT 5.1 box) that doesn't close until I close the app. That is undesirable. So I personally prefer "Run Executable."

The problem is that I if I add Form Exit that does the same thing as the push button, it doesn't work. If I click it once, nothing at all happens. If I then click it a second time, OW crashes. No error messages or anything, it just closes - OneWorld Explorer and OMW both disappear without a trace. The ER for this button are identical to the ER for the push button. But the push button works. Any thoughts?

Run Executable("C:\Program Files\TextPad4\", "TextPad.exe", <Blank>, <Blank>, <Blank>, "C:\Program Files\TextPad4\")

Back