Business Data Upgrade - Xe to 8.11

Jen

We are currently XE (B7333) and in the process of completing a "side by side" upgrade to 8.11 - by "side by side" I mean on a completely separate Deployment Server and Enterprise Server.

Both systems are HP-UX/Oracle 9i, the Database details are as follows:

Xe Database: NLS_CHARACTERSET=WEISO8859P15 / NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16
8.11 Database: NLS_CHARACTERSET=WE8MSWIN1252 / NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16

The query I have is relating to the Business Data Upgrade, would I be correct in saying that this is the best approach?

1) Export current PRODDTA(Xe) and Import into PRODDTA(8.11) in new 8.11 Database.
2) Convert PRODDTA(8.11) to Unicode using the UnicodeDataConv.exe (This will convert CHAR to NCHAR, VARCHAR2 to NVARCHAR2, etc)
3) Complete the Table Conversion on the 8.11 Deployment Server (This will take care of converting the imported Xe tables to 8.11 format).
4) Go-Live

Any experience of such an upgrade would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Your logic looks fine, except that you should really refresh Dev from Prod, stop all work on Dev and then follow the instructions for a data only upgrade in the supplemental upgrade guide.

You can have two deployment servers (old and new) and quite a few people do. BEWARE though that when you go through your plan you need to add your new deploymnet server rather than select your old one. Once the plan has completed double check everything to ensure where it should say your new server it does (i.e. Pathcode master, Release Master).

I copied the planner directory from the old deployment server (mimicked the tree structure to there as well i.e. JdeDwardsOneWorld\B7333\Planner) and placed a new B7333 share on it.

You will need to copy the JDEdwards and ODBC registry keys from your old deployment server and then amend the entries to point to your new server so that the new plan can find your old planner.

The table conversions and manual conversion routines need to be completed before you run the unicode conversion (as well as the deleting of obsolete tables - see supplementary guide) as the prep for the unicode conversion tells you that it will not allow you to convert obsolete tables and any other tables in a datasource that the object librarian (new) does not know about.

I am currently stuck at that point with a problem running the conversion, the app gives an unknown error pop up message. I am on SQL Server but a friend of mine (who is a highly experienced and respected Orcale field consultant) is also doing an upgade on a Oracle setup and he is getting the same error. We are both awaiting a response from GSS, so watch the PeopleSoft search for solutions web site if you get the same issue. I have a feeling it is service pack related, butthen what do I know.
smirk.gif

By doing dev first you will have completed most of the systme tasks required for the update and then be able to plan the necessary down time for production in order to run your table conversions, table deletions and unicode conversion. You can set the central objects up in advance by copying the upgraded dev ones to all new environements (once you have tested them).

Good luck.

Jen,
We just started an upgrade from XE to 8.10 and aproach is very similar to what you are doing. Did you have any issues with the MSDE (Oledb vs ODBC). We have currently run the planner, done the TC workbench , still have to do unicode. but running into issues when doing post install instructions.
Thanks for the help

Back