BUSBUILD not starting on full package - deployment server only

markdcci

markdcci

Owner - Rockford Consulting LLC
Suddenly, when I build a full package on the deployment server busbuild does not start. Package completes otherwise, but bin32, lib32 are empty. It builds ok on a fat client, but very slowly. Disk space seems OK on deployment server, security on the folders seems the same, no other changes (to my knowledge).

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas? I've seen some old posts on busbuild problems, but not this specific issue.

XE Update 7, SP23_K1
AS400 V5R3
W2K Deployment server

Hi,

you probably need to review your buildlog.txt (in the packagename\work directory) alongside the jde.log file on the deployment server when you instigate the build.

If it is not working for a full build it probably will not work for an update package either.

To test (quickly) assemble an update package with 10 or so BSFN objects and then submit (logged onto the deployment server) and then review the files mentioned.

90% of the time it comes down to a problem with the C++ install. Either the environment variables are wrong (or not set) or the paths in the jde.ini file are not correct. If it worked before the jde.ini file is probably not the cause so it is more than likely the environment variables.

The buildlog.txt will probably say something along the lines of cannot find nmake.exe.

Funny thing is, I don't even get a buildlog.txt file crated in my work directory. Tried this a few different times and it's always the same.

I have 1 gig free on the drive - We have had less free and had it build successfully.

I'm still able to build on a fat client (albeit slowly) so all is not lost yet.

markdcci,

This may be a long shot, but has your access to the deployment server changed?

Hi,

You say nothing has changed, but if you run the build from a fat client it builds correctly, but from the deployment server it does not anymore.

BUSBUILD runs locally from where ever you run the package build from so the setup seems OK on your fat client, so I would say you need to investigate at the deployment server.

I would say that you need to review your deployment server setup in the following areas and compare with the fat client:-

jde.ini [JDE_CG] section - ensure that on the deployment server the same directories are mentioned in each variable string and are pointing to the right place.

Environment variables (System) for Include / Lib and Path are populated and on the deployment server are pointing to the right place where C++ install is concerned.

Have you tried to run busbuild manually (from windows explorer) on the deployment server to see if it launches OK.

We need to find some logging. Since you're not getting a build log, I'm curious if you're getting messages in the jde.log?

My initial thought was that this must be compiler related. Did the server just have some maintenance done to it? New patches or updates?

- Scott

Speaking of such, can someone please post the environment variables they have for INCLUDE, LIB and PATH (MS Visual Studio .NET 2003)? I cannot seem to find them anywhere on the customer connection website. Thanks.

The security was the same, the jde.ini was correct, space was OK. Thanks to Terry Duffy for suggesting that I run busbuild on the command line. Turns out my CNC apprentice-type person renamed envtool.dll (which is a whole other story about UTB and SP23) and busbuild could not start. Renamed it back and things appear to be working. Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Back