Backorder issue with multiple item locations

Stetman

How do you default in the primary location for an item during order entry other than opening the fold and keying it in? We currently have a business unit that defaults it in once you accept the order and we're not sure how it’s doing it.

Here is our issue. The primary location is backordered and the secondary location has quantity on hand, but this location is on hold. During Order entry, the order is committing to the primary location and not going on backorder status. The work around we are using is opening the fold and entering the primary location name in the location field. This does cause the order to go on backorder status.

We do have another business unit that has items with secondary locations that are on hold that have stock available, but when entering orders where the primary location is out of stock, the order goes on backorder without having to open the fold and manually enter the location.

Hoping someone out there may have an idea on something we may have missed setting up this new location. We've looked and looked and can't see anything different with the business units.

Thanks. Jeff
JDE World A7.3 cume 5

Jeff,

I'm merely a Manufacturing guy, but since no one else has responded here are some thoughts.

There may be several different things going on.
Commitment locations should default from your various commitment control settings.
Go to your Branch plant constants and compare the settings for commitment methods and backorders allowed.
Also check your Item master and B/P records for backorders allowed and commitment methods, and check your customer master for backordrs allowed.
Also, you don't mention whether or not the items are lot/serially controlled. Those setting may also come into play.

Perhaps one of the distribution gurus will focus a bit more light on your issue.

Mike,
thanks for the reply. We looked over your suggestions and everything between the business unit that is working and the one not working are the same.

We are not using any lot controlled items.

Jeff
JDE World A7.3 cume 5

Jeff,

It's the wee hours of the morning, and the JDELIST website is
unavailable for posting (probably undergoing overnight maintenance - I've
run into this before at these hours) so I'm responding to you via e-mail.

In my initial response, I presumed that both locations were using the
same version of Order Entry. I should know better. Check to see if they
are using the same version of the same order entry program. I don't have
access to an A7 environment, but if memory serves me there is a
processing option (or two?) in that program that affects the setting of
commitments. If the locations are using different program versions the
solution may lie in their processing option setups.

Michael N. Shapiro, CFPIM, CIRM
cell- 303-619-2276

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:32:36 -0600 Stetman <[email protected]>
writes:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Apps&Number=67414
thanks for the reply. We looked over your suggestions

We are not using any lot

Jeff
JDE World A7.3 cume 5

Mike Shapiro, CFPIM CIRM
JDEtips Associate Editor - Manufacturing
Sr Mfg Consultant, Polaris ETC

Hi Jeff,
its been a while since I worked on World, but I think this all still applies...

1) Primary location for an item is defined at item/branch set up time. However you can change it by going into item locations. Hence you can default different primary locations for different branches by using a combination of "Default location and printer" setup (for the user defaults for branch) and primary locations by branch.

2) I seem to remember some bugs in the allocation program (42997 from memory) where held orders were not taken into account properly and lead to adhoc results similar to yours.

I hope this helps a little !

Warm regards

Peter

Back