Automatically allocating available stock to branches

• Thread starter Randall_Whiteman
  • Start date

Randall_Whiteman

Appologies if my terminology is incorrect, I'm still learning this area of JDE functionality. We currently use JDE810 for manufacturing only and are part way through re-implementing all modules (ie manufacturing, supply chain, finance, etc) in JDE90.

We have a scenario where a distribution centre might have 50 units of a particular product on hand and available. Two branches both have demand of 50 units (therefore only one branch will receive the on hand units from the DC).

If one of the branches has an open sales order from a critical customer, we want to ensure that branch is supplied first.

We have been playing around with DRP using the branch relationships but haven't found how to give preference to a branch based on the customers associated with back-ordered open sales orders.

I have read a couple of high-level documents on Order Fulfillment which sounds promising but so far I haven't connected the dots into anything meaninful.

Another complication is that our staff don't have time to perform a full review of planning messages created for transfer orders. In the legacy system, the transportation clerk arrives early in the morning to find system generated transfer orders which they then proceed to book vehicles with transport companies for that day. The JDE solution needs to be similarly automated.

Hope this makes sense and i really appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I don't know much about Order Fulfilment so can't offer anything there.
DRP might be an option, something like this:
- setup special doc types ( St and OT equivalents ) for priority transfer orders for supply of B/O sales lines
- create special version of demand/supply inclusion rules that include only sales order lines at B/O status, and the special transfer order docs, inbound and outbound
- setup branch relations ships with level and availability checking options, as needed
- run DRP for selected branches, planning families etc, with processing option set to new transfer orders
doc type
All new OT order messages will be to transfer stock in to address B/O sales order. depending on options, could result in priority transfers suggested from 2 or more supply branches.
- process these messages to create the priority transfer orders.
- then do the normal daily DRP run, including all sales order lines, including B/Os, and including all transfer order types, routine and priority.
this DRP run will most likely only plan for routine relenishment/supply, as all demands for back ordered lines will have been covered from the previous DRP run and the new priority transfers.
scheduling the priority and routine DRP jobs is a challenge, because of the need to review and process the new order messages in between. this could be an end of working day activity for a material planner to submit DRP run and to review/process messages, prior to over night DRP run.
hope this helps

I have a similar problem to this currently so am spending some time pondering options for addressing stock movement requests from main warehouse.
one problem with my suggestion above is that any inventory in branch with the B/O sales order lines can mess up the suggestion by DRP for transfer orders.
Solution I have (nearly) firmed on here is to do a custom UBE development that will create transfers order based on the special demand.
Approach for your B/O supply problem would be to select all B/O sales order lines, determine if stock available at supplying branch, and if it is then generate a transfer order to supply asap. this will commit the stock and render it unavailable for any other order.
Areas to consider:
* multiple runs for multiple selling branches with maybe a priority identified as to who gets first grab at stock
* multiple lines in the transfer order for the same item where multiple sales order lines on B/O
* storing inbound transfer order number/line in sales order line, maybe in cross dock or related order fields, which can then used as a filter for excluding in subsequent batch runs
* report to show where stock not available to cover the B/Os
* firm transfer orders created will be handled OK in DRP

needs custom development but not sure that standard JDE can deliver

Back