AS 400 vs Oracle

Sri2008

We are a midsized company and currently on XE with Oracle 9i (soon will be upgrading Oracle 10g) on HPUX. Eventually we will be migrating to 8.12. We have few other business units that run on AS/400. The question is, when we migrate to 8.12 should we stick with Oracle or move to AS/400. As every one know JDE has many installations on As/400, but keeping in mind that now JDE is part of Oracle, we kind of hesitating to go with AS/400. As CNC veterans, could you advice the pros/cons.

Thanks
XE/Oracle 9i

Go with what platform you know. Moving from Xe to 8.12 requires a tricky not well documented data conversion process . If you moved to another platform you would also have to convert the data to a different database on top of this upgrade conversion.

Oracle may encourage you to move towards full Oracle 10g, however, JDE has a strong and large AS400 customer list, I would hardly believe that regardless all the effort Oracle will put on pushing they will be able to convince that large community to change platforms. If I were you I will stay with the 400.

The question is: "should we stick with Oracle or move to AS/400"
Your answer is: "stay with the 400"
Not that I am a fan of Oracle, but I see a mismatch between his question and your answer
grin.gif

I think you meant "stay on Oracle" not switch to the AS/400.

You should definitely stick to whatever platform you have the most experience with.

I think I misunderstood your question, I didn't mean to create some confusion, in my personal opinion I think since you are already using Oracle, stay with Oracle, it may not be a big difference now but in the long term it wouldn't surprise me seeing Oracle Database the best fit for Edwards. On the other hand, we have also use the ADF Framework within JDeveloper and we have found some issues with non-Oracle databases like the AS/400 and as you can read from Oracle they are pushing to get Edwards more into the SOA world and interfacing with JDeveloper as a development tool.

Back