64 Bit Windows and JDE XE

FreddyFrancis

FreddyFrancis

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried to install JDE XE client (SP23) on a 64 bit Windows OS.

We tried it , installation works. However after a few click withing the application, the application gets terminated.

Oracle supports 64 bit Windows only from SP24.

We are basically trying this so that we can have more using in 64 bit machine via citrix.

any suggestions are welcome.

OneWOrld XE - SP 23 U1 , Oracle 10.2.0.4 , AIX 5.3
Windows 2003 R2, x64 SP2 standard edition

Freddy

Freddy

This is a worrying post. First of all, you're not going to be able to get SP23 working with 64bit - it is specifically supported from SP24 onwards - so that should terminate your testing immediately.

secondly, your reason for using a 64bit OS is also somewhat flawed in my opinion. Throwing more memory at fewer machines will end up reducing your redundancy. Having MORE machines is not only less expensive than having LARGER machines, but also provides a lot more redundancy when you encounter a failure (and a LOT less impact on users).

Remember, although my original Citrix sizing is based on the available memory per machine, when you start going over 64 concurrent users (the maximum for a 4Gb machine) - you start hitting other internal bottlenecks such as CPU performance, disk performance, network performance etc etc.

Just because you could _theoretically_ take a 32Gb 64bit machine with 8 Quad Core processors and stuff 512 concurrent SP24 user sessions onto the thing with Citrix, you'll end up hitting a performance wall FAR before you ever GET to 512 concurrent users (probably, actually, around the 100 user mark). It'd annoy the heck out of your CIO because your 8xQuad Core processor, 32Gb machine would have been INSANELY expensive compared to purchasing 16 x dual core, 2Gb machines (or 8 x quad core, 4Gb machines).

So, stick with the "16 user per Gigabyte per CPU core" sizing that I've always suggested, and keep the maximum sizing per box at the 32bit level (ie, 64 concurrent users for 4Gb and 4 cores), and you'll be fine.

Back