1099 Changes To Be Aware Of

ssolberg

VIP Member
Thought I would let everyone know of some things I recently ran into that aren't particularly attended to in the current documentation from JDE/Peoplesoft/Oracle.

The new state/fed combined filing is a great addition! We've been filing electronically for years but thought I would send a test file this year with a test of the combined state/fed stuff from JDE. I was surprised when the file came back bad. My problem, though, was not with that but that now the IRS REQUIRES a Contact Name and phone number in the 'T' record. It has not been in the past. There is info in the documentation about how to add this info to your Who's Who on the Transmitter company Address Book record.

The other issue had to do with the A/P method and changes/additions to the workfile. There is a new processing option (#4) to P04510FP that says "do you want to default in the State Code when doing an adjustment". The default on this processing option is blank, which means do NOT bring in the State Code on the adjusting entry (add or change). If you leave this as blank, it will REMOVE the State Code from any entry you change and it will LEAVE BLANK the State Code on any addition you do. I just can't fathom why you wouldn't want this proc. option set to '1' because otherwise, you will really be causing a problem with your state filing if doing it electronically or magnetically. I would strongly recommend you set it to '1'. I had already done some adjustments to the workfile before I found out about this issue. To correct the data that it removed, I just reinquired on any of the adjustments I had done (because now the State Code was removed) and changed the action code to 'C' and hit enter. It will fill it back in. Same goes for any additions I did.

Additional issue that came up for us. We only file 1099 MISC forms and Box 14 (attorney fees) was NOT printing amounts. Found a SAR 7470603 to correct this problem. Apparently it also correct a problem with a box not printing on the 1099 DIV form as well.

Back