deploying a full package

wgrantusa

Well Known Member
What is the best way to install a new full package. I have been told to use the Add/Remove programs. But I have also been told to accept it when you sign on. Which is it? When I deploy a full package and use the Add/Remove programs, it still shows up when the user on the fat client signs on. Are both processes the same?

Thanks
Stephanie

Stephanie,

Either way is acceptable, although the latter, having the user accept is probably easier if you have a lot of clients to hit. There is nothing wrong with doing it through add/remove programs, but if that is your method of choice, you should NOT create a deployment record for that workstation when you are going through the deployment options of the package build process.

You may also wish to check out the many threads here about using unattended installations via a command line, again, if you have many client machines to update, this could save a lot of time and hassle from an administration standpoint.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for the info. I will have to check in to the unattended installs.
We have 15 clients and the rest are all thin. Not to many to do but enough
where it is a pain to do.

Stephanie

Stephanie Strohmenger
William Grant & Sons, Inc
Edison, NJ

You did not state if you were deploying to just fat clients or to terminal servers or both...if you deploy to a terminal server you have to use the ADD/REMOVE programs...the fat client is your preferred method.

Franklin

Franklin,

I am doing both (fat and terminal servers).

Stephanie

Stephanie Strohmenger
William Grant & Sons, Inc
Edison, NJ

Back