Windows XP workstations

recker5

We turned off system restore functionality on XP workstations (my
all drives) and NER hanging problem is now resolved. However, since we are
on Oracle 8i which does not support XP, we may just switch to Windows 2000
or NT workstations to avoid similar weird issues going forward.

Thanks everyone for there valuable input.

Recker,

don't take the Oracle8i on XP stuff too seriously. All it really means is that Oracle hasn't tested 8i (officially) under XP. Oracle is pushing hard (too hard) for its customer base to upgrade - thats why they didn't certify it. We had/have OneWorld problems with XP - but no problems have been attributable to Oracle8i. In fact, 8i - which is not certified under XP - runs fine, unlike OW XE - which supposedly is certified . . .

We stopped our XP rollout due to the problem described in SAR 5690830:
"A failure occurs during spec merge when installing an update package on an XP machine. It only breaks in release mode and not in debug, so it must be some sort of memory issue. The same package can be installed on a Windows 2000 machine successfully."

Regards,

Which version of XP are you using? There is no support for XP-Home - you have to use the pro-edition. The only issue we have at a side here in germany - sometimes it is slower then on W2K.
Regards

We are running Windows XP proffessional and I still encounter pauses when starting some OneWorld Xe applications but putting these aside, I do find XP running quicker - this may be just because my system has been set-up from scratch though.

Regards,
Carl...

OneWorld Xe Update 2 moving to Update 5
SP 18 & One Off I_1
Enterprise Server - Sun Solaris / Oracle 8i
Clients - Windows 2000 / Citrix Metaframe XP
Deployment Server - Windows 2000

Recker

I'm having the same problem as describe in Sar 5690830. Update package install errors at 67% on an XP workstation. You mentioned when you "turned off system restore functionality on XP workstations" the problem went away. Does anyone out there know how to turn this off?

Patty

Go to the Control Panel, System icon (in classic view). There is a tab on that screen called System Restore and a checkbox to turn it off.

In category view the system icon is under Performance and Maintenance.

Back