Ipad on JDE - Viable use cases?

morglum666

Well Known Member
Hi list,

I'm pleased to say that I had the good fortune to test an Ipad against 8.98.4.5 on 8.12 and it actually seems to work fairly well. I tried all the gestures and they do work - and we didn't have to make any settings change out of the box.

On the Ipad the only change needed was:

Settings --> Safari --> Turn off pop up blocker.

We actually used the ipad against a secured, internal wireless network and performance was acceptable. Now I suppose the tricky part is where can I actually use this?

The Ipad isn't a cheap device but I was thinking that for executives using purchase order approval or the electronic HR hiring process would work well. Its more of a consume than create device, but the keyboard works fine and the columns are context sensitive (## values show ##'s, text fields show the full language characters).

It doesn't do media objects based on what I've read and export to excel is a no go. All of which is fine.

So my question to anyone interested is:

* Are you using Ipad's for JDE? What kinds of users?
* Do you intend to use ipads for JDE in the future?

Happy friday

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Excellent topic for discussion. We also tried 8.98.4.5 (in our test 9.0 environment) on an iPad, and it worked well for us.

As far as uses go, I'm thinking it might be a good fit for our maintenance crews to record their hours worked and work order completions for maintenance work orders.

The switching of the alpha to numeric keypad gets tiresome after a while, so I don't think it would be a very good general data entry fit.

Any other potential uses that anyone else is willing to contribute?

We are looking at using tablets for our stockers in the warehouse. They have a Kanban report that tells them the priority of bins they need to handle. Currently, they run a report every hour or so and carry the paper along with their RF gun. We are hoping to add a wireless scanner to a tablet and use a terminal emulator for the transaction. With the tablet mounted on the forklift, we should be able to save money on guns and gun repair. At the same time, providing real time access to their reports.

Jer

Back