Visual Studio 2008 vs. Visual Studio 2005

jdel6654

VIP Member
I am working on an upgrade from 8.12 to 9.0. Part of this involves deploying a new deployment server. We have 2 options for the C++ compiler: VS 2008 -or- VS 2005. VS 2005 is already licensed.

Long story short, has anyone seen any benefits to upgrading to VS 2008 from and admin or developer standpoint?

This may be more of a developer post than CNC.

I just upgraded VS version from 2003 to 2008 and no one even noticed except for me going around to a few of the develoepers desks and installing VS 2008 before hand. So to answer your question, there shouldn't be any advantage except for the end of life by either Microsoft or JDE ending later for 2008, so I would go that route since you're doing a full upgrade of JDE anyway.

I wrote an article for jdeTips on enabling IntelliSense (browse information, code auto-complete, etc.) when doing C BSFN development. If you follow the article and enable IntelliSense there is a HUGE difference between 2005 and 2008. 2005's implementation of IntelliSense is incredibly buggy, while 2008 is only kind of buggy (2010 is rock solid).

Its copyrighted material so you would have to get the article from jdeTips. If you have not all ready done so, I think you can request a free sample issue from jdeTips though.

Back