E1 security question (Company Security)

cncjay

Well Known Member
Hello All,

We have several companies setup within E1. I have a need to lock down, example, Company 1 data for 98% of the users, only allowing access to a handful 2% of the users.

I may be going down an over-engineered path, trying to determine associated tables and locking the data down via row security.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this task ?

many thanks,
CNCJay

You can do row security on *ALL tables for the specific company DD item you are interested in. But you should be aware that row security has its overheads.

If most users need access to only their own companies then an INCLUSIVE row security model would make more sense. Of course you would have to take into account if you already have row security implemented for other purposes and what kind of model you are using - Inclusive or Exclusive.

If you doing any *ALL kind of row security you would definitely want to test in a non prod environment first to see that it does not affect your performance

To follow up on ice's comment, using company security WILL affect your performance, you will want to do a full index evaluation after you turn it on. The same is true if you decide to turn on row security via MCU.

Tom

Security on a subset of files can be ok - but there is an number of files to apply it to.

Definately inclusive - we have a UBE that will convert you automatically to inclusive from exclusive but if you start inclusive from the beginning its better for you.

If you have multiple roles with row security (ie 1 role per company/group of companies with multiple roles assigned to users) it makes maintenance easier and performance better. The drawback is that you either need to merge the multiple roles into single roles manually or use our software to do it for you.

Thank you for all the great feedback.

I'll start the re-evaluate process to see what direction makes sense for us. I certainly don't want to impact any performance. Users complain as it is and if it is further degraded, that would not be a good thing
grin.gif

Back