Grid Import Functionality Issue

Carrie

Carrie

Hi List -

Curious to see if anyone out there has experienced this issue with the grid import function. I searched prior to posting and couldn't find anything similar.

We are able to successfully import and process data into a variety of applications without fail. However, our Sales Order Entry application doesn't like us to import data into the grid. I've discovered that an import of item number & quantity fails to assign LNID to the grid records, therefore making them dysfunctional. If I go behind my import to manually assign LNID, it still doesn't resolve the issue. Should be noted that cut & paste of item number & quantity work correctly, as well as an import of LNID along with item number & quantity. I'm torn between this being an application issue or a technical issue. Anybody have a thought about how this process works behind the scenes? I don't get any errors because this all happens prior to the click of the "OK" so there is not a table commitment occurring yet.

Can someone out there try it to see if they can duplicate? It wouldn't be unheard of to find out that it's failing because we've modified the P4210 some but I need a checkpoint to start.

We are on 9.0 Update 2, Tools 8.98.3.4
ESU JL16177 has been applied.

Any contribution would be welcome.
Thanks,
Carrie Ricotta
JDE Functional Consultant

Carrie,

Sales Order Entry is a complicated and fragile application with ER code on column and row entry/exit events and everywhere else. I'd be surprised if grid import worked. Particularly if you use features such as Kits or Advanced Pricing where the ER code will automatically bring up forms on exiting a row.

This is not a tools issue in my opinion. Rather its a application issue.
If you really need grid import for Sales Orders you should create a 'lite' version of Sales Order Entry solely for that purpose.

Thanks Larry -

Incidentally, I tried it in Pristine where we've not monkeyed with it and it fails there too so at least I'm able to confirm that it isn't our mods. I know that with all of the 9.0 enhancements, there's a lot of ER things going on in there. We can get by with importing LNID with our data, or just the copy paste. It really was my own personal curiosity getting to me on this one.

I appreciate your feedback!
Thanks,
Carrie

Carrie,

Have you tried the PowerForm Version? P42101? It allows for a little more flexibility than the legacy P4210...

I know you, so I know you've probably already done this - but....

Customize the Grid to show All Columns. Chances are that one of the columns is being populated incorrectly (correctly according to E1 Functional Professionals, incorrectly due to the insane logic that was given to a historical developer ten years ago). It's just one of those tricks I usually hit - when working with SOE.

(db)

ps - I get to go home today!

Hey DB -

Glad you're getting better and get to go home! But you are right, I've tested all of those things. I can duplicate it in DEMO JR. too so at least I know it isn't me. It's really not worth fixing for this client as we have viable work arounds and it's not a common occurrence. I was just curious. Something to keep in the vault for future use!

Take care,
C

One additional thought on this, which you may have tried as well, but I wonder if the import would work using the P4211Z1 application? This application lets you edit the inbound Sales Order "Z Table" and these records would then be later processed into the sales order tables by the inbound UBE. This application is simpler that the P4210, and might be more willing to take data from Excel.

Back