Installing Develpment and Production environments seperately

cncsts

Hi,
Is it possible to install the Development and Production environments seperately on different boxes and at differnt times? Are there any issues encountered while installing the JDE?

Thanks,

If you're asking whether it's possible to install dev/py on a separate box, yes - that is a common type of implementation.

It seems as if you're asking whether you can install dv and py first and then pd at a later time. That is possible, but you might have issues. You really want to ensure that the system databases (system, data dictionary, object librarian and central objects ) are stored on the production box. Having duplicates of these results in having, in effect, two implementations - and trying to run two implementations is double the management and a lot more cause for issues (especially with regards to promotions). The better method would be to implement everything on your production server, then move dv/py over to your secondary server at a later date. Changing production server name is very nasty - but adding an additional server is not tricky at all.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, i will be installing dv and py first and then pd at a later time
Iam planning to have my system databases (system, data dictionary, object librarian and central objects ) stored on the production box when i will install my production box and then point my DV/PY System Datasources to the Production System DB.Will this have any issues?

Also, my DB and Logic servers for Development and Production will be on different boxes,so i will be having 4 boxes.

Thanks,

Is this a brand new implementation, or an upgrade?
Is there a reason you want to have Production separated later?

Back