[ QUOTE ]
I have a guide that tells me to do the following steps :

* Set up a database instance.
* Add a new environment.
* Create the environments.

and i don't know how to do this !

Any ideeas?

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been asking the same basic questions here for a couple of months. I've been watching with some amusement, since your company or customer is evidently not prepared to send you on training.

ERP Implementations are complex things. Companies spend literally hundreds of millions of dollars implementing Enterprise systems for a very, very good reason - because they can drastically change how a company operates, and that can be the difference between a company growing or going under.

80% of implementations fail due to going over budget or time or fail completely due to lack of functionality. Many companies make the initial mistake of choosing an ERP system without performing proper selection - ie, not hiring people on their selection committee who either understand their business OR the ERP Software marketplace.

If they somehow, miraculously select the right system to do the job, the next failure is in staffing the implementation project. It is important having people who understand the way the business operates, but again, its important to have people on the team who understand how the software works.

Finally, its important to know how far to modify the software. Having too many people from the business on the project will result in a complete bastardization of the software to the point where it will be not only difficult to update, but will return very little investment. But trying to force a products "preferred" model might not work well for a company's implementation.

My point is, that the technical implementation is CRITICAL since it makes the foundation of the final system. Build a bad foundation, and this will result in complete failure.

Hire people that understand the system. Don't gamble on your success.

I understand you amusement. But i can say this, when you first started did you or didn't need help with a lot of things? I think you did, and if you aren't willing to help others with "basic answers" to basic question i think it's better to say nothing.
Who do you think you felt someone said to you that what you want to accomplish is an impossible feet?

Some one said to me it is impossible to install the software and i need to hire someone, but with hard work, sweat and tears i did it and i'm verry proud of my accomplishmet.

If you are willing to help than i appreciate your help, if you want to be amused i can recomand youtube.

Hi Alex :

To be sincere, I don't think neither of us is having
fun of you, we're giving you a sincere advice.

There are 5 fundamental pieces of training needed before
starting any JDE installation :

1. OS (setup, admin, security, tuning, upgrading)
2. DB (same items)
3. Web based Application Servers (OAS or WAS, same items)
4. JDE CNC
5. Networking basics (DNS, AD, TCPIP, firewalls, etc)

It's possible that you're strong on some of these
subjects, so you may not need all of them.

If you can't afford training then you'll need to be
mentored by someone who has the appropiate skills, or you
risk damaging your installation by accident.

Ruining a mock installation at home is not an issue; but
breaking a live install at a real company leads to some
serious trouble.

When I first started as a CNC (1999), my employer sent me
to JDEdwards (Denver) for CNC Training.

It was quite an impressive expense at the time, but the
profit the employer made with my newly acquired skills
was far higher than the money they spent to train me.

That may be true as well if you decide to work on your own.

Have a nice evening

Look, I don't know you, but I'm sure nobody here is casting any aspersions on your skill set. It's just that installing and implementing an ERP package is generally a highly complex technical operation, and going in without either training or guidance is a recipe for a half-assed implementation.

I've just reviewed all your posts, and nowhere have you ever explicitly mentioned what you are running on. I have to infer from several different posts that you are attempting to run E1 9.0 with a local Oracle database on the Deployment Server, RHEL on your Enterprise Server, and OAS as your JAS server. There is no mention of what your database is. It helps to have that specific information to be able to help you.

Open, general questions are not in the spirit of what JDEList people will usually help out with. There is simply too much information to convey, in a limited space, that a person who has either had some training or read the appropriate manuals should not be asking. To me, this feels like I would be trying to train you (and by extension everybody who reads JDEList) for free.

As you might expect, many of us here, including me, are trying to make a living with the knowledge of how to do these things you ask. This knowledge was only gained through years of training and experience ... at least it took me a year of classes, trying things in the lab, and shadowing my boss at live installations before I felt I truly understood the nuances of what the heck was going on with the technical side of things.

This is why your questions on installation tend to be met with a "hire someone" or "take classes" response, because such open-ended requests for help are best answered that way. Either that or reading the manuals and spending many weeks at the task. As you say, you have spent much hard work to get to this point. This is the tradeoff your employer has had to make. Your boss has decided he would rather spend your time and effort, rather than spend some money to either send you to a class or have someone come in to teach you properly. (Which I generally do. Whenever I am at a client, there is usually someone who is watching what I do so I can pass along the knowledge to someone at the client. They have paid for my time, after all.)

The results of this will generally show in that you are likely not even aware of what you may be missing. For instance, you had a couple of questions of how to "translate" JDE. The simple answer to this was to download or order the CD image of the language you wish to use, and follow the appropriate steps in the installation manual. You had also asked how you add a 2nd Enterprise Server. This too is in the installation manual, which you must have read to get this far.

Don't get me wrong. If you have a specific question, it would generally be answered to the best of someone's knowledge. JDE is a complex product which is extremely flexible in its configuration, but also extremely difficult to completely understand because of that flexibility. Open-ended questions like how to install a database instance just don't elicit much response. Because you haven't specified what database you use, how can we tell you to install an instance of one of 5 possible databases on one of 8 possible platforms (well, in your case, 2 possible databases)? Pinned at the top of every forum listing is "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way." Please start with that. If you can make your future requests for help more specific, then I'm sure you'd get better answers to your questions. After all, I've been at this for a dozen years now, and people like altquark, Brother of Karamazov, and cdawes have been doing this for longer, and we all ask questions here sometimes.

I understand that the courses and the information given there is not free. You said that you are making a living dooing this, don't think i want to take all the cake, i just want a little bite.
And about the translation, many have told me the same thing that i have to download the languare and apply it. The problem si that the language that i want isn't available.
wink.gif

And the guide for setting up the translatipon tools is not clear, or and this may be the case for me, i don't have the proper knolegde. Either way many thanx, i will tell you if and when i will make the breakthrou.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that the courses and the information given there is not free. You said that you are making a living dooing this, don't think i want to take all the cake, i just want a little bite.
And about the translation, many have told me the same thing that i have to download the languare and apply it. The problem si that the language that i want isn't available.
wink.gif

And the guide for setting up the translatipon tools is not clear, or and this may be the case for me, i don't have the proper knolegde. Either way many thanx, i will tell you if and when i will make the breakthrou.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex,

The group here is a friendly lot and would like to know a little more about you and your organization so that we can better help you.

Take a moment to introduce yourself and let us know who you are and what you are trying to accomplish.

Okay, i don't know where to start.
I work in Romania at an Oracle partener, and my boss thought that we could try to start with JD Edwards, because there ar not many in our country that work with this ERP.
At the begining of the year he told me to document my self and find out about the arhitecture, thechnology and so on, so i could try an instalation. I did that and after a few months i succeded in installing the software. It is with the following confituration:
-Deployment Server Oracle DB
-Enterprise Server is on RHEL 5 with Oracle 10g.
-Oracle application server for JAS.
The version is E900 with tools 8.98.

After that he thought that we should dig deeper. Now he wants to make an localization pack. First thing is to translate the software. And because the language is not in the available languages i downloaded the guides necesary for this operation (Delta process & translation tools) and now this is my task.

Now i'm stuck at the delta process part, and this is because i don't understand what does it want me to do.

It says something like this: Setup a new database instance, and then it gives me the resolution. Select the current System - Client Map for administrating environement data sources, and copy the current data source. and after that it says : repeat this step for all database data sources. (does it mean that i have to replicate the hole thing? )

Okay, mooving on. The next step is to add a new environement. OCM in fast path and map all the tables in the guide to the translation environement. (again i don't know witch is the translation environement and furthermore there are no tables listed)
And after that there are more stuff like this. I'm confused.
I try to ask a few questions but i'm laught at! It is frustrating.

And this is it.
And another thing, in succeded in setting up the new instance.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are willing to help than i appreciate your help, if you want to be amused i can recomand youtube.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I have already provided you advice. I don't believe you've personally thanked anyone for advice they've provided.
2. We get "how do you install this" type questions time and time again. Look at the past posts, you will see that we get on average 5 or 6 of these EVERY MONTH. Sometimes those people figure it out, other times they don't
3. You have NEVER published who you are, what your company is using this for or any information about your configuration. How is anyone supposed to help you ?
4. Your questions denote you have had NO TRAINING. I'm sorry, but if you don't want to help yourself by getting onto training, then stop bothering us by doing it "cheap".

Piranhas only take "little bites".

Now, back to your question. To answer you, you NEED TO GO ON TRAINING. If you can't budget for that, then at the very least, buy some books and read the manuals ! Asking questions like "how do I install OneWorld" is ridiculous. Its too complex a product, and nobody here is going to answer those types of questions. Why not go on the SAP forums and ask THEM how to install SAP ?

You'll probably get an answer like "run setup.exe"

Send me your email to [email protected] and I'll send you an extensive document I developed 5 years ago to address exactly such a question. It explains the database steps too. No worries. We ALL started from some level of NON-understanding of CNC and foundational stuff

[ QUOTE ]

Asking questions like "how do I install OneWorld" is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but i don't think i've ever asked this question.
Don't think i'm not gratefull for the answers that where given to me. They didn't solve the problem right away but they opened my mind.

Thank you for the encouragement. Hope i can give advices like yours some day !

I'm sorry if words where a little bit mean. I'm under pressure and it takes the smallest thing to set me off.

I appreciate all your help. I'll try not to bother you with my stupid questions. Hopefuly i will have some question in the future that will blow your mind
cool.gif
but for now i'll try to make the best of my aquired knoledge.

Thanx to all,
Alex.

Alex,
I'm a lurker here most days. I've been working around JDE for over 8 years mostly on the iSeries Administration side and as backup to our former CNC. Now the CNC role among others has been added to my plate so I empathize with the unknown and confused state you find yourself in as you learn. Some minimal advice;

Add your configuration to your signature here, it'll save you time and brain cells when you are in the hunt for info and will be less frustrating for the knowledgable folks that do want to help you here.

SHARE not only your questions but your victories as well. People who help like to know their efforts are indeed helping. Also, CNC neophytes like me get to learn something along the way as well.

If you find yourself asking 'How do I', stop and reframe it to "Where do I FIND'. People here will point you in the right direction EVERY TIME.

Welcome to JDEList, you won't find a better pool of knowledge on JDE anywhere. Ask where to get resources to answer your own general questions, ask for specific guidance on the tough parts, then share your successes and you'll have a great cheering section here. It won't get you there as fast as your boss might like but you'll earn the respect of these people for your efforts and you'll learn from the best in the process.

Jon...great answer!

After doing six implementations I can only say that if you do not have a strong implementation team made up of your own people that are very knowledgeable and experienced at JDE implementations, then you need to bring a consulting group in to take the lead on it or you will fail. I was lucky to be a component of a strong skilled experienced global implementation team at Haskel International which resulted in thorough and expedient implementations to the global sites, that could not be surpassed by anyone they could have contracted.

And one last thought, the best implementation team that you you can assemble MUST consist of individuals that are not only JDE experts, but they must be well versed in operational processes and the value streams of the company where they are implementing.

[ QUOTE ]
Alex,
I'm a lurker here most days. I've been working around JDE for over 8 years mostly on the iSeries Administration side and as backup to our former CNC. Now the CNC role among others has been added to my plate so I empathize with the unknown and confused state you find yourself in as you learn. Some minimal advice;

Add your configuration to your signature here, it'll save you time and brain cells when you are in the hunt for info and will be less frustrating for the knowledgable folks that do want to help you here.

SHARE not only your questions but your victories as well. People who help like to know their efforts are indeed helping. Also, CNC neophytes like me get to learn something along the way as well.

If you find yourself asking 'How do I', stop and reframe it to "Where do I FIND'. People here will point you in the right direction EVERY TIME.

Welcome to JDEList, you won't find a better pool of knowledge on JDE anywhere. Ask where to get resources to answer your own general questions, ask for specific guidance on the tough parts, then share your successes and you'll have a great cheering section here. It won't get you there as fast as your boss might like but you'll earn the respect of these people for your efforts and you'll learn from the best in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allison - I can appreciate your approach and positive perspective. Some of the self-rightousness and holier-than-thou attitude makes me shake my head.

Back