AS400 "user space" update package build error

blundberg

AS400 \"user space\" update package build error

Here are the technical specs:
- Application Release = 8.12
- Tools Release = 8.96_I1
- Enterprise Server = AS400 (V5R4)

In preparation for installing Tools 8.97 I performed the following activities in the order listed:
- Applied ESU JK14990 (planner ESU) to all environments
- Performed Special Instructions for Planner ESU
- Applied ESU JK14530 (tools baseline ESU) to all environments
- built update package with all of the above ESU objects (still using 8.96 Tools)

However, on the AS400 server build I receive the following error:
"builddll.c:1050 BUILDDLL0184 ERROR: Failed to create user space. Builddll failed."

Although the build completes and the PDF says it built successfully (no errors), the AS400 build logs show these errors in 2 out of the 9 BSFN Library compiles. Those 2 compiles also end in error status, while the other BSFN Library compiles build successfully.

Has anyone run into this AS400 build error before?

Re: AS400 \"user space\" update package build error

I ran into this exact issue not too long ago. It wasn't with this ESU but rather with a mix of custom and base JDE objects. I ran about 20 update package builds one day to figure out what could cause the issue and here's what I found.

I found the issue only happened when I built an update package that contained objects that cover more than one BSFN program/svrpgm AND the update package contained a business view AND a PO template, both of which were modified or new after the full package was built that the update package was updating. In my scenario I was building tables that needed to update JDBTRG1 and JDBTRG2. The particular one that failed would not be the same every time either. I’m guessing the one that finished building last was the one that would fail.

It sounds crazy but I could replicate the issue at will with the above scenario but couldn't reproduce it with any variation from the above. I logged a call with Oracle on the issue but they didn't have a clue where to start. The only time they would send me a response was when I would ask for an update and the only update they gave me was that they were waiting on a response from development. After three weeks of having them avoid the issue I finally gave into them and closed the call. In the mean time I built a full package and that worked out fine. For deploying the changes included in the Tools Baseline I would recommend a full package anyway.

Thank you for the reply. It does sound exactly like my issue. I have easily burned a couple of days tinkering with this and sending logs to Oracle.

Last night, I successfully built a full package and deployed it without error. Then as a test, I tried to rebuild the same update package that generated the "user space" errors prior (same ESU objects), but this time referencing the new parent package. However I received the same "user space" errors. I'm starting to lean towards this being an erroneous error, but I'm not 100% sure. I will likely move forward on my Tools 8.97 upgrade, and keep pinging Oracle on my open call.

After building and deploying your full package, have you seen the "user space" errors pop up again?

I haven't run accross it since building the full package as a work around but I haven't made an effort to reproduce it either. I'm sure I could reproduce it if I really wanted to though. If you still have the call open with Oracle you can reference the case number I had open with them on it, 4718781, and then they'll see it's an issue with multiple customers and maybe that will motivate them to look into further. If they come back with anything worth while I would like to hear what it is.

After sending logs back and forth to the Oracle developer, we finally received a fix that seems to have worked (10 successful update builds in a row with the same ESU objects in them and full builds are successful as well). To get the fix you can either email me or call Oracle and reference my case# 4750884. If you contact Oracle, they should be sending you the fix with a builddll in it, which will restore to your E812SYS library.

Also I don't know if it matters or not, but the fix I was sent was for Tools 8.97.1.1, since we had just upgraded from 8.96_I1.

Back