Question: Scaling JD Edwards ERP8 for more connections

haitham

Dear all,

We are using JD Edwards EnterpriseOne ERP8 on a Windows 2003 Server (8GB RAM) and Oracle Database 32Bit. Recently we upgraded our database to 10gR2. We have reached the limits for our capacity as Oracle 10gR2 is reaching the 3GB memory limit and no more connections can be made after around 500 connections.
We need to scale out, but because Oracle 64 bit on windows is not certified with ERP8, we have only two options:

1. Oracle RAC on Windows 2003
2. Moving to a UNIX based platform (Solaris, AIX or HP-UX)
where 64 bit Oracle is certified.

I'd be thankful if you could experience the above two areas and get your views on this.

Regards,

Do your research on the RAC solution and test it in a sandbox environment prior to making that choice - I'm not sure how suitable it would be for you.

How many concurrent users are running on your enterprise system currently ? I think your best bet would be to investigate unix or linux as a solution to be honest if you're wanting to continue using Oracle. HP-UX is by far the most popular Unix platform for JDE users - followed by Solaris and lastly by AIX. That does not reflect how scalable or stable the platform is, just a market ownership - (in fact, AIX is still my favourite unix flavour to be honest !).

Of course, you could always upgrade to 8.10 or 8.12 and then run Intel Linux with Oracle !!!!

Being "certified" isn't everything, by the way. JDE can only "certify" a limited number of platform choices because they only want to "support" the popular options. The product will run very happily on a 64bit Windows oracle server, providing there are separate application servers that are 32 bit. JDE is concerned about running the application services on a 64bit platform. I know customers running Xe and ERP 8 on 64bit oracle with no issues whatsoever.

Back