Uploading from spreadsheet freezing web server

camo

We are testing 8.12 TR 8.96.1

One scenario in particular has potential to cause us real problems.
When uploading spreadsheets into the grid we get the following:
100 row spreadsheet - all okay
500 row spreadsheet - all okay
1000 row spreadsheet - all okay
5000 row spreadsheet - the web server CPU max's out and other user sessions are pretty much frozen until the upload session is killed

Has anyone else experience something similar ?
Does anyone know of any limitations with the uploading of spreadsheets into the grid (practical or theoretical) ?

Thankyou in anticipation

What web server OAS or WAS?

What platform?

How big are the JVM's. What are the JVM arguments?

When this happens how much memory is being used in the JVM?

Colin

Apologies - I should have added the platform details in my original post

O/S = Windows 2003 SP1 Enterprise Edition
Database = SQL 2005 SP1
Web Server = Oracle Application Server 10g R2 (10.1.2.0.2)
The web server is dual 3GHz with 6GB RAM

There are two JVMs : one for PD and one for PY
The JVM min and max heap memory is 1024MB

I'll have to get back to you on the memory usage whilst the upload is happening, but our sys admin staff ran performance monitor logs across it and believed the load to be CPU bound

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else experience something similar ?
Does anyone know of any limitations with the uploading of spreadsheets into the grid (practical or theoretical) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned that you are testing 8.12 with Tools Release 8.96.1. Have you run 8.12 with a prior 8.96 Tools Release, and if so, what were your results?

I'll wager you've seen the big red " <font color="red"> No Response From Application Web Server </font> " text coming from OAS on at least one occasion?

You also mentioned your server team measured and found CPU was throttled. If this is the case, by any chance are you running any hardware virtualization software? If not, have you logged the issue with Oracle? You mentioned 2 CPU's. Is this dual core or two single core CPU's? Do you have Hyper Threading enabled?

Have you tried uploading a CSV to a grid using Firefox? What was performance like compared to Internet Explorer? Actually, I know you can export from a grid to CSV using Firefox, but I've never tried it the other way around.
smile.gif

IE has known "DOM" performance issues. I've posted about this in prior threads. Oracle has a few documents about this issue on their website.

I can tell you from experience that uploading from Excel to a grid is one of the worst parts about the web "experience". There are a several more "hops" between the client and the database with a four or even three tier architecture. Client/Server, e.g. Solution Explorer, works much better in this regard, especially when the business functions are mapped to the local server or workstation, because it is a simple matter of uploading from Excel into the fat client and then to the database.

Performance isn't all it could be compared to using better methods. For instance, Data Access Studio can export into Excel *much* faster than OneWorld Explorer or Solution Explorer can. Chris Bruce from Dominion Software is on this board from time to time and he could explain more eloquently than I why this is the case.

The web architecture forces you through the web browser and onto a JDE logic server where all the business functions process, then to the database. In your case, if your HTTP server is on a separate box from your OAS JVM, that is an another hop and you introduce additional network latency. You could use the analogy that importing from Excel into a grid via the web is like trying suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Smaller "pebbles", a few hundred rows, go through fine, but larger quantities of data all at once bog the system down.

Back