E1 and ActiveX controls

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
I would like to hear what you are doing to deal with eith ActiveX controls in E1. Our IT policy has all activeX controls blocked, as a result our users are not able to install them. Users are facing 3 issues, the first is the main JDE plug-in to view the work center and the other is the control that allows you to view a PDF. I have UBEContentDisposition=TRUE in the JAS.ini file on the old server that was turned off and as a result the UBE was not embedded within E1, now that it is turned on it tries to install the acrobat reader activeX control which users cannot install therefore it prompts them each time to download the file. The third issues is with IE7, again I think that something in the policy is blocking it from opening a PDF, because if I use my personal PC at home and VPN I have no issues with IE7, but one I am in the domain I cannot view a PDF it flashes a window and then it disappears, I do have a cas open with Oracle on this.

I guess I am trying to find out how companies tackle the issues with activeX. My suggestion is to allow users to be able to install signed activeX controls but I am not sure if this is going to fly.

Thanks for you feedback!

Hi,

We manually log as a local Administrator on every PC
and manually install these ActiveX (by opening
Work Center, exporting to Excel, opening a PDF, etc).
Then, we logoff and when regular users login these
ActiveX will be available for them to use.

How many users do you have we will have about 500 concurrent across 7 regions in the US.

We install these ActiveX controls individually on every new wkst. Our IT guy:
1. logs in Windows with admin privileges,
2. logs into EOne HTML Client,
3. visits ABook, looking for an attachment => gets prompted & installs the attachment ActiveX, then
4. submits a batch with CSV output, then retrieves it and is prompted again, ...
and you got the picture.
Warm regards,

Hi,

The account I'm talking about has 50 users in a single
location and they run their Web sessions from a Citrix
farm. So it's quite easy to update them all manually,
I just have 3 machines to deal with.

The ActiveX will stay there until Citrix is reformatted
or a new version of IE is installed there.

However, if I were to manage 500 Web users, I would
definitely run their Web sessions in Citrix or RDP.

It's easier to manage and leverage software (IE, patches,
Security settings, ActiveX, virus, malware, etc) in that
centralized environment.

Also, in case of disconnection users don't lose they work,
just re-login to Citrix or RDP and keep working.

Logging onto all machine is just brutal. You can use Active Directory and so many other tools to accomplish this just goolge it and you'll find a million plus tools. The only trick is to get it into each users profile as opposed to the machine key since the settings are profile specific.

As for IE7.....supposed to work in 8.96.1.1............doesn't work in 8.96.1.1 (most things work but it's not 100%). Wait for 8.96.1.4.

If your PDF's are not opening then it's the blocking of pop ups that is most likely turned on.

If you read the MTR's in the very fine print there are about 4 lines that reference the browser configuration. This should be expanded to about 12 pages with screen shots as there are several steps to go through to configure what's in the fine print. Try configuring this on one machine first.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
As for IE7.....supposed to work in 8.96.1.1............doesn't work in 8.96.1.1 (most things work but it's not 100%). Wait for 8.96.1.4.

If your PDF's are not opening then it's the blocking of pop ups that is most likely turned on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true about the little snippet they have on IE, I am working with the System engineers to setup a policy that will change the local machine settings when a user logs on, as for IE7, I have tried it all, I don't have popup blocker turned on and I have modified all the settings but I think whatever the policy is set to now for activeX is also undoing my local IE settings even thought I am local admin on my machine. At my last place everyone was local admin so we did not have these issues but now I am in the real world where IT polices are in place
laugh.gif

We have the same issue - users with no admin rights.
We have 5000 users, 800 concurrent, across Canada.

What we do is have the Active X installs scripted by our global desktop group and then they are auto-installed for everyone. This requires some preplanning when we install a new SP (Tools Release) as the script takes an unbelievable length of time to be created.

As a side note - I entered an Enhancement Request to 'Eliminate Active X Controls'. You can see this on the Quest Tech SIG ER Website:
- www.questdirect.org
- New Enhancement Request System (link on right as well as main page)
- Enhancement Type of Technology SIG
- Change default status selection to 'ALL' or 'Accepted as Valid Request by Oracle'
- Click on Subtype to sort
- Scroll to end and look under 'Web' Subtype ERs
- See 'Eliminate Active X Controls'
- Add comment with business case

The Tech SIG is still getting a handle on the new Quest ER System. Since we had several hundred outstanding requests, we need to sort those out before getting new ones. We still need to add the original word docs back for 2003-2006 (2001 and 2002 are done).

The Tech SIG will be sending out a note when they are ready for voting on the older ERs and will be sending instructions on how to add new ones.

Feel free to browse through what's there though if you're interested.

Sue Shaw
Xe SP23J1 iSeries Coexistent and on the oh-so-painful Xe Web Client

We have most of the IE related Active X settings in a group policy, however now we are tyring to figure out how to get the JDE plug-in to be a part of that policy so that it prompts whne the user first accesses say workcenter or add it to the policy so that they policy install it and it is seemless to the user.

Back