E1 8.12 - Whew

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
So we are biting the bullet and going to go with 8.12 instead of 8.11 SP1. we actually started our upgrade 2 weeks ago and decided a few days to scrap what we already did and go with 8.12 on Friday....wish us well because yesterday I as talking to one of my Oracle insiders and he told me he was doing an installation verification to make sure the documentation was correct.....that was a little scary
grin.gif

Anyone out there planning on doing the same, or are we just crazy
crazy.gif
our go live on the new release is in early 07 so hopefully by then most/a lot of the bugs will be worked out...Yikes.

All the best. Is it a Xe to 8.12 upgrade ?
confused.gif

And time to change your signature too, isn't it ?
grin.gif

I've thought about that, but I'd really need project buy in before doing the same. I'd like to upgrade the 8.11 SP1 system to 8.12 but we've already started some of the project workshops. More than likely we'll just pass and wait until the forced upgrade of 8.9 to take the 8.12 (or 9.0 if its out by that time.)

XE to 8.12? That's much too easy...you should really purchase/lease an iSeries, migrate to World, then implement SAP next year. Oops, that's someone else's nightmare.

Are you on HTML in XE? Are you going with the Oracle or IBM middleware option? Will be interesting to hear of your progress...

I've actually done 8.12 upgrades already at JDE. There are many Oracle consultants and Partners already trained.

Things are very nice indeed. Might be a good idea get someone who's already trained to share the in's and out (HUGE Delta on Metadata Changes).

The documentation is excellent..... We actually marked up the manuals and pointed out any discrepencies so by GA the manuals should be golden.

Be careful of all the 3rd Party software MTR's that have changed.

As for anyone else..........we've tentativly booked several upgrades to 8.12 already.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
manuals should be golden.

Be careful of all the 3rd Party software MTR's that have changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...how much as the MTR changed....we will be implementing on Windows 2003 SP1, SQL 2000 SP4 and .NET...anything else I need to know....We are not using any of the IBM or Oracle middleware.

We are currently not on HTML in Xe so I know that will be a shocker for our users.

Since you've done the upgrade already care to share any pre-released documentation, is it very different from 8.11
shocked.gif

We are planning an upgrade from Xe to 8.11 SP1 or 8.12 including the upgrade/migration of the database, going live in September or October 2006. We have completed the upgrade/migration of the database going live last Wednesday (26th April 2006).

We went from Oracle DB 8.1.7 on an RS6000 to Oracle DB 9.2 on a Sun. The software upgrade/migration is from Xe on an RS6000 to 8.11 Sp1 or 8.12 on a Sun. At the moment our plan is to have Oracle/PeopleSoft/JDE to do a "laboratory upgrade" where we hand them our system and they carry out the upgrade and then give it back when completed, then performing a final production data upgrade to go live. This process includes our doing detailed testing.

So I will be very keen to know how your upgrade goes. All the best for it.

On the plane ride back from Nashville to Denver, I was talking with a Denver
based development manager at Oracle who told me that they will be announcing
an E1 to World migration program. Seriously! I about fell out of my seat
laughing. You can't make this stuff up. Or maybe I was having a bad dream.
Anyway, if anyone wants to see my blog on the Quest show, Google "JD Edwards
Blog" and you'll see it.

Andy Klee
www.JDEtips.com

Cleo,

Are you guys using OneWorld Explorer or Solution Explorer? If OneWorld, than the first culture shock will be the painful conversion to Solution Explorer menus. You will need those menus in place to support the 8.12 web menus. In the upgrade process, your security groups will be converted into roles, but your OneWorld Explorer menus are left out in the cold unless you have already converted them into Solution Explorer menus FIRST, before you upgrade. Your other option is to throw menus out and start over again, your pick!

Gregg "Mr. Solution Explorer Guy" Larkin

Back