deleting F0911 indexes

pshearer

The F0911 is an overly indexed table. Has anyone here tired to determine which indexes are actually being used and deleting the unused ones? Just Curious?

I am a big supporter of applying proper DBA practices to JDE. I don't see it as different from any other system. If indexes are not in use and you have the monitoring data to prove it then I say remove the indexes. It will make a different to transaction performance, no doubt about it.

Regards,

Agreed. This table tends to get very large. Delete any unused indexes on these types of tables. It helps alot.

Justin, the dspfd command on OS400 gives a last used date on the logical. If that is old, then there'd be no reason not to drop the logical, right?

Further, would it be a useful idea to run a query over the system catalog to identify all logicals in the PD data library with a last used date older than some date and delete?

Cheers,
JohnO

Hey John,

Sure, I think that using the dspfd command or QUSROBJD api to detect unused logicals is a good idea with one reservation. An index might only serve a specific piece of periodic processing -- e.g. Month End, Year End, Quarterly reports, etc. I would take a close look at logicals with older last used dates and see if they are supporting periodic processes before deciding to drop them. If it still made sense to drop them I would recreate those logicals to cover the periodic processing and then subsequently drop them after the processing completed.

This link on the IBM site gives some more specifics on the subject of "Detecting Unused Objects on the System".

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iadthelp/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.etools.iseries.pgmgd.doc/evfclmst130.htm

Back