multifoundation on Deployment server

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
Question, We have multiple app server ( one for each environment.
and one deployment server. We are planning to upgrade our tools release. I have read it , that in this scenarios, I can upgrade one environment ( normal tools upgrade) and then switch back and forth between ( new system,system comp and one worll client install and Old) when I am building the package.

E.g When I am building a package for upgraded pathcode, I rename the existing folder ( system........) and then copy the above mentioned folder to dep directory . Tehn for non upgraded environment, I do vice a versa.

Do I need to take care of any thing else. Please advice

I have seen other clients try this message and within about two months, they are calling consultants because their environments are hosed. I would not prefer this method. Some have found success, but many have failed.

You should download the manual "Multifoundation for XXXX" where XXXX is your platform. If you set it up correctly, you should have no issues having the two foundations on the DS. You'll just need to always remember to select the new foundation when building packages for new TR testing environements. You'll also need to setup multi-foundation on your app servers (also included in the manual) as well as ensure that you plan user access (via snapshot, dedicated WTS, etc.).

The DS multifoundation is generally the most hassle free, as you are really simply replacing the entire contents of 3 directories. Depending on your platform, setting up and getting multifoundation to work can be anything from easy to a bit tricky.

Or you can take the slam bang approach, and apply the TR over a weekend without telling anyone. Since the new tools release is newer, it has to be better and certainly will not cause any issues on your system.

Ok...since some may not be able to see the seeping and blatant falseness in the above paragraph...yes, I am kidding about that last part.

JIm,

Since I am replacing the 3 directory, I dont think I need to worry about choosing my foundation, when I am building the package etc..... Since foundation it looks for is the current foundation only, which is replaced with 3 directory.

So If I understand you correctly, I should not have any issue with this method.

Essentially what you do, is you copy off the three directories, install new TR (which replaces existing contents), copy off the new, and replace the old. Then you will install (or configure) the location and existence of the "new" foundation so that it can be selected for package builds. Your app servers will be running a new E1 instance on another port with the new TR. When you wish to build a package with the new foundation, you alter the DS JDE.INI to use the new port, and you select the new foundation when create your packages.

Again, please get the manual and read it through per the scenario you are going to attempt to implement.

I have done the multi foundation on the dep server with no problem. Like it says in the instructions create a System_SP whatever with the new SP and choose it when you build the update package for testing. I did not have to set up multi foundations on my enterprise server. We have the boxes split between production and everything else so in essence I have multi foundation. My two cents.

Patty

Back