Adding a Second Deployment Server

tsebold

I am trying to add a second deployment server and am running into problems trying to get it to connect to any environment and see the planner evironment on the primary deployment server. does anyone have any GOOD documentation on how to do this? Thanks.

You want the "new" deployment server to access the planner on the "old" deployment server??? I don't believe it works that way. The "new" deployment server will have it's own planner.... Is this server going to have the same pathcodes as the old dep. server, or are you going to split them.

I wanted it to have some of the information from the "old" deployment and they are going to have the same pathcodes.

TSEBold

If you are trying to add a second deployment server as part of an upgrade to 8.11, there is a Known Issues document (SolutionID: 200949605) out on Customer Connection that will help you out with this.

This document (Known Issues) is frequently updated without the date of the document reflecting updates, so it's best you go to CC and get the latest version.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I will look at the document, but I am not upgrading at this point. We are just adding a second deployment server into the mix.

Terry Sebold

The way that I read this is that you are trying to have 2 primary deployment servers for the same release of JDE, one to hold say PD / DV / Planner pathcodes and the other to hold Prist / PY / any other pathcodes.

I take it that is because you are running low on space (or something).

As far as I know this is not possible within JDE, as you can only have one check in location. There are a load of other stuff that point to the deployment server that can amended to point else where (admin nightmare). The best people to ask though are Response Line who will give you the official line.

I was trying to add it as a secondary so that it would share the same path codes as the primary. I have 5 enterprise servers in 4 different countries and 1 deployment server. That is why I need a secondary.

Terry Sebold

It sounds like you need multi-tier deployment. Please review ERP9_Package_Management.pdf document from Knowledge Garden, too big too attach to this post.

This will speed up package deployments for users BUT I believe other functions like Check out - Check In - Get will still need to be done from the main deployment server.

There are other messy ways of doing it if each country has its own database server, environments, etc. where you can "manipulate" some system datasource tables in each database to make it believe the local deployment server is the main one, BUT it then makes development policies and system admin multiply complicated and difficult to maintain. I have seen it done and it works BUT ALL development was done at the main location and new package deployments were manually done to remote locations. This requires careful setup and advanced knowledge of CNC concepts.

frown.gif
Has anyone had any luck adding a second tier deployment location (second deployment server for deploying packages only) in version 8.11 8.95_SP1_J1?

I am reading the documentation from the PeopleBooks but it seems less than spectacular.

Other information would be appreciated.
smirk.gif

Thanks,
James

Why would you want to use second tier deployment server when product packaging works so much smoother? I am not sure I understand the business need for your request.

Back