OMW - assigning where objects gets checked out of.

spiderbaby

spiderbaby

Hi all-
When I am logged onto PD and I check out an object, it gets checked out from the PD specs. Is there a way in OMW setup to direct it to check it out from DV specs?

Thanks!

This is interesting. Baby, you should never check out thing when you are logged into production. Production is only for production users and for business. If you need to do work you should log into Development environment. Having said that when in OWM click on the object go to Advance from the row exit and do a get , there specify where you want the source to come from. But keep in mind that if you do that this fat boys production specs will now be from the environment you did a get from. I hope it is understandable.

You could do an advanced "Get" in OMW. Click the down arrow on the advance button, select row then get. You can then specify which pathcode you want to get the specs from. Hope this helps.

Patty

I am know I am not supposed to be developing in PD but sometimes I forget where I am signed in at. The thing is, I am the only JDE person here so I get to play developer, CNC (not a very good one), business analyst, and production troubleshooter all at once. I do understand the advanced gets, I guess I was looking for a way to prevent me from accidentally checking out/in to PD. So if I was checked into PD and developing, I would just be affecting DV.

I guess the answer is just to be more careful.

Checkouts will still be done from DV (it's controlled by the Project Status), not from PD - regardless of your signon Environment - for all Object types, except UBEVER's.

Ah ha! And I was checking out UBE versions. So that makes me feel better then. THANKS!

Spider,

If you want to test a DV object in PD - you do an Advanced Get - pulling the object from whichever environment.

(db)

Spider,

You can configure your OMW Rules (if I remember correctly) to prevent activities (like check ins) based on the signed in environment. I believe that is your goal.

One of the CNC Gurus (hi Shawn?) will probably help you out... I'm not a CNC dawg, so I'll limit my response to here.

So we understand - you want to limit the activities of OMW so Check Ins cannot occur in any environment other than DV.

(db)

Spiderbaby,

I would not recommend changing the OMW rules (as Daniel Bohner noted could be done) unless you know what you are doing and are aware of the full consequences of any change you make. The other thing to be aware of when checking items out and changing them is that there are 2 locations involved, where you are checking out from (governed by the project states as Alex Pastuhov advised) and where you check out to - the pathcode on the fat client. This depends on the environment you are using. If you check out an object while in PD and change it, then log out and log into DV, the changes will not be available.

Spider,

For the record - no one should ever be able to 'check-in' while logged into a PD environment. Allowing check-ins in any environment, other than DV is a very bad idea. The promotion process has been proven time and time again - and circumventing it, by allowing check-ins from any other environment is only asking for issues.

Someone will correct me, but the default OMW rules should not allow you to check-in from PD. If the rules at your site allow check-ins to occurr, while in production - it would be worth your time to reconsider changing the logic (such that no one can do check-ins in PD). Being able to check-in from PD was not my recommendation. Changing the rule from being able to check-in in PD to being unable to check-in in PD is my suggestion (thanks for forcing the clarification, Peter).

(db)

Hi Daniel,

[ QUOTE ]
Someone will correct me, but the default OMW rules should not allow you to check-in from PD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do
cool.gif

Project Status 40 "Production Development" has its own standard rules, Checking In/Out To/From Production Path Code.

I suppose, the goal of this status is for emergency modifications, while an object is under development for an other reason.

Regards,

Zoltán

I believe that checkouts in production done via OMW will follow OMW configuration rules, which state that objects will checkout from PD7334. Checkins via OMW are disallowed according to OMW configuration rules. However, there are special rules regarding checkins via Batch Versions. The checkin of the version will be allowed *and* the checkin will go the the logged in environment plus the environment represented by the status of the users' default OMW project (usually 21).

So, if a user is logged in to PD and goes into batch versions, checks out a version it will come from the PD7334 path code. When the user checks the version in, the specs will go to PD and DV, assuming their default project is in status 21.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah ha! And I was checking out UBE versions. So that makes me feel better then. THANKS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi brother_of_karamazov,

[ QUOTE ]
When the user checks the version in, the specs will go to PD and DV, assuming their default project is in status 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember, there was (is?) a white-paper, how to prevent UBEVER Check-In to both PD and DV when you are logged on PD.

You should replace DV7333 (DVx) entry with LOCAL in the UBEVER Check-In transfer activity rules of 21 (default) project status.

Maybe this can be useful for somebody - but please, try it first on your system, that does it work on or not.

Regards,

Zoltán

Back