Testing ERP 8.0 while live with Xe

• Thread starter Crazy_About_JDE
  • Start date
Crazy_About_JDE

Crazy_About_JDE

Well Known Member
Hello, list, and thank you for always being a great and thought-provoking resource. We are preparing to upgrade from OneWorld Xe to ERP 8.0, but would like to still be able to build packages for Xe, if necessary--probably only in the event of an emergency.

If you have been in this situation, what did you do?:

a) have another deployment server for ERP 8 until going live

b) restore the old deployment server from backup

c) or is there another way that I haven't conceived?

Thank you, in advance!

-Tim

We are in a similar situation. We are live on Xe, but we are testing EO 8.9.

We have one deployment server that has been upgraded to 8.9. We build packages on a client for both Xe and 8.9. The only thing that we can't do is apply ESU to Xe.

What you can do is snapshot the deployment server's XE install and save it to itself (i.e. B7333). This will allow the share to persist and package builds to function. Then install ERP8.0 to the B7334 and snapshot it to B7334. Then you can toggle back and forth between releases in the event you need to apply an ESU. If you don't plan to install any ESUs to XE during this time, you can skip this step and use a development workstation to do the XE builds and the deployment server to do the ERP8.0 builds.

We're in same boat, have been for a few months. As soomeone else has mentioned we use "Snapshot" utility to 'switch' between Xe and PSEOne 8.0. Have been building packages for Xe and PSEOne 8.0. A word of caution however regarding "Snapshot" utility. We have found it has thrown a few wobblies so-to-speak and I would recommend you take backups of the registry hive for J.D. Edwards for the B7333 state and the B7334 state. These can prove useful when "Snapshot" arbitrarily decides "heck today I'm goin' south!"

What does SnapShot.exe actually DO? The JDE knowledge garden articles don't describe its actual function in any depth at all.

Here's what I found by running SnapShot.exe on a workstation:

Copied C:\B7\System\Bin32\snapshot.exe to the desktop.

Ran SnapShot.exe from the desktop.

It detected my existing OneWorld version as B733 in C:\B7. I clicked the 'Save' button, and it prompted for these values:
Snapshot Name = B7333 (my choice)
New Folder Name = \B7333

When I clicked OK, it...

- Renamed C:\B7 to C:\B7333
- Moved c:\winnt\jde.ini to C:\B7333
- Extracted relevant registry keys to C:\B7333\RegKeys.dat (83 KB, How does it know which keys to keep?)
- Moved these files from C:\ to C:\B7333: jdeapp.ddp, jdeapp.xdp, jdeauth.dda, jdeauth.xda, jdemod.ddm, jdemod.xdm, jdesec.dds, jdesec.xds

"Restoring" the environment did just the reverse and seems to work fine. I'd still like to know the finer points of what it's doing in the registry, but a simple System State snapshot using Windows Backup covers me.

Tim,

I used both snapshot and a fat client while having both ERP8 and B7332 on the same deployment server. I would assume that XE and ERP8 would function similar in this case.

I used snapshot only when I had to apply an ESU or do something I could not do from the fat client.
I found snapshot a bit flakey at times and had to do a registry restore once.

I had one fat B7332 client I used for package builds. This allowed me to build packages as needed without considering what release the deployment server was in.

Karry.
ERP8 SP22, Win 2003, MSSQL 2000, Citrix XP

Back