what is IPC

bee

hi,list
we use as/400 as our enterprise server , and nowdays we always get the 'security server 0000007' error in the morning at 9:00 am.at this time , no one can login to oneworld anymore, stop the Oneworld server , clear IPC and then restart it can temporary solve the problem.
but i know that clr the IPC may cause sth. wrong for the user online.
now i think maybe something wrong with my JDE.ini setting,i want
to enlarge the IPC value, but i can't find any acticle about what is IPC
and how to set it ,anyone can help ?
here is our settings:

[JDEIPC]
maxNumberOfResources=1800
startIPCKeyValue=2101
avgResourceNameLength=15
maxMsgqEntries=1024
maxMsgqBytes=65536
ipcTrace=0

we have about 400 concurrent users online.

we baddly need ur help!
thanks sincerely!

bee

Not sure but maxNumberOfResources on ours is set to the default of 1000 and yours is 1800. Did find this in the OneWorld System Administration manual off the KG we had laying around dated Sept 2001 for the AS400:

maxNumberOfResources - The total number of IPC resources that are available to JDE.

startIPCKeyValue - On NT, this value is used just to uniquely name the IPC shared memory. On all other systems, this is the value of the IPC ID, which JDEIPC used for its shared memory. This value, plus the maxNumberOfResources, defines the range of IPC IDs that JDE will use on the system. SysAdmins would ensure that this range of IDs is not used by any other software. Although JDEIPC will not use an existing ID in its range, this may not be true of other software.

maxMsgqEntries - no comments
maxMsgqBytes= no comments
ipcTrace= no comments

gm

Bee,

(what is IPC?)

IPC means Inter Process Communication.
It's a method an operating system offers to enable two (or more) processes talk to each other. Think of it as one process writing something to a memory location and the other process reading it. The operating system needs to do this as a process may not read or write outside it's own address space, otherwise you get what is called a memory violation.

When you have One World running on your ES you have many kernel and/or batch processes needing to talk to each other, often in pairs, one process talk to exactly one other process. So these two processes need to agree on a "channel" (or IPC key) they want to talk on, just like on a walky-talky. These channels are the numbers you define in

startIPCKeyValue=2101
maxNumberOfResources=1800 .

In this example you would have 1800 channels available, and the channel numbers would start counting from 2101 on. There are two potential problems.

1. Other systems running on your ES, different from JDE OneWorld, or the OS itself, may use IPC keys (channels) as well. If this other system uses the same keys as OneWorld, there may be a conflict. It may write information in the appropriate memory location that is not understandable for a OneWorld process, or worse. In that case you would need to redefine the initial value of 2101. Ask you system admin to find out which IPC values are in use by other systems (like Oracle) on your ES.
2. The number of resources, 1800 in our example, may not be sufficient if you run a very large number of kernel and/or queue processes on your server. In this case you would need to increase this number, taking care not to invade IPC keys used by other systems.

Hope these two centavos of mine help to answer your question.

Gerd

Check your maxNetProcesses value ... These are the JDENET_N processes.
Try 5 and go from there. We had the same issue a while back and bumping
up the number fixed our issue

Xe SP18.1 AS/400 V5R1,Citrix

Thanks
George
Berri Limited

hi,gerd,
>. The number of resources, 1800 in our example, may not be
> sufficient if you run a very large number of kernel and/or queue
> processes on your server.

we don't have large number of kernels .we have about
7~15 kernel in use .out batch queue is always less than 20.

our greatest number of job on as/400 is qzdasoinit(what i think is the ODBC connection from the workstation). does it use IPC ? out QZDAsoinit job always reach the number of 1700~2700,sometimes 3000+ . if it use IPC, maybe i should increase the maxNumberOfResources value.

and another question .is the IPC provided by the OS?if so,will it outofborder when i enlarge the value?and is the startIPCKeyValue
the left border of IPC range or it is just the left border of a segment of IPC?

bee

Check your maxNetProcesses value ... These are the JDENET_N processes. Try 5 and go from there. We had the same issue a while back and bumping up the number fixed our issue

Xe SP18.1 AS/400 V5R1,Citrix

Thanks
George
Berri Limited

Something else you might want to try is to delete all of your SQLPGK for everything EXCEPT members that start with a "Q" in all of your OW libraries (B7333SYS, COxx7333, etc). You have to stop OW services before doing this.

Back