ESU applying best practice

jaisejames

Well Known Member
Guys ... I am really confused and would appreciate any help on this. I have a large ESU to be applied. I have a seprate environment for ESU's. I have applied the EUS there , Now According to JDE I need to promote all the object to My DV environment b/c if dependencies.

Question I have one tiny little fix needed , but taking all the objects ( includign object for sale and distribution application etc ) where as my fix is for AP. IS this the recomended method.

Is it possible to promote object and do an ER merge for those object... My two sar refer refers to two object app p0411 and one BSFN. But according to JDE I need to apply the entire ESU... I am going crazy with this explanation. Does any one know any thign better and how to go about it..

Any help will be highly appreciated

Regards
Jaise

Refer to my Applying ESU Best Practices whitepaper for all of the information you are looking for. It has been in distribution for a couple of years now.

Jaise,
I wasn't able to locate the white paper mentioned previously, so will instead direct you to a couple of JDE white papers...

Log on to the KG and access Document ID: otm-02-0017, "Best Practice for Managing Software Updates". As a companion/predecessor to that document, also get: otm-02-0014, "Software Updates Under the Covers".

You don't mention your JDE release, but prior to the existence of baseline ESUs, some ESUs can be pretty unwieldy. There is no substitute for applying the entire ESU, as the objects contained therein routinely carry inter-dependencies, best practices notwithstanding. ESUs can also superseded for updated fixes due to these inter-dependencies.

You also don't mention if you have mods or not. Mods of course, will impact the time required to install and promote the ESU due to retro-fitting.

You mentioned having an alternate ESU environment for its initial installation. I was curious as to your reasoning behind the installation to this environment.

As a general methodology, I would recommend:
1) Apply the ESU to your JD (Pristine) environment. Validate the fix in this environment to confirm that it resolves your issue. You may wish to validate the entire ESU here as well.
2) If you have mods, you'll want to create a project and check out your modified objects (those contained in the ESU, determined from an ESU object analysis). Save them then to a SAVE location. Promote the ESU to DV. Retro-fit your mods and unit test.
3) At this point is where you may want an alternate environment (a copy of PY if current (it should be), else PD) in which to test the overall ESU and any retro-fitted mods. Having an ESU environment will keep PY as a copy of PD for ongoing support there.
4) User test the ESU in your ESU environment (whether it be new or PY).
5) Promote to PY (if an alternate environment is used) and/or PD when all is functioning as desired.

Last, don't skip the Special Instructions. These may need to be applied to each environment the ESU is installed/promoted to.

SDW

Back