Why Things Move (RDA Objects)

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Howdy,

Some time ago, I figured out that long-frustrating problem of "Why the Field Drops 1000 Lines, when Horizontally Aligned." You know, that development issue where you are working on a Group Section, you have a couple fields at the top of the section, you either Bottom or Top align and ... suddenly ... on of the objects vanishes a few thousand pages to the bottom of the section? That Issue appears to be caused by Fields not being of equal height and attempting to align an offending field 'above' the top of the page.

So, what about Columnar/Tabular sections. I have all my columns laid out the way the users want them. I touch a column and it ... suddenly ... jumps across the screen and plants itself somewhere else. Worse, it does the same thing - Every Time I Touch It.

I know, the quick answer is to stop being a column abuser and stop touching the dang column. But it is habit forming. Like reaching for the forbidden Nestle Crunch bar - before children have a chance to strike it from the Halloween Bowl...

Out of frustration - why do the columns decide they want to be somewhere else?

Frustrated with Column Dancing!

(db)

ps, feel free to have a little fun with replying...

That is an inbuilt helpful feature of JDE that is telling you that you are WRONG, the field needs to be placed there. Part of an AI functionality that is still being developed.

Another example is the code compare tool that suddenly makes everything bold. This is another AI feature that knows that your eyesight is going bad trying to find out the code differences.

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you either Bottom or Top align and ... suddenly ... on of the objects vanishes a few thousand pages to the bottom of the section? (. . .) Out of frustration - why do the columns decide they want to be somewhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I once wasted a cpl hrs on this issue (and then eventually decided to place it one row lower :)). Dunno why it occurs. I think it must have something to do with the fact that the UBE was created in an older release than the one you're working with.

Remo,

If you notice the actual heights of different fields, you'll see that, though all are using the same font / size - the actual height is different.

So, let's say you take a short field and you pin it to the top of the section. Then you take a tall field and you pin it to the top of the section. Now, select both fields, click the shorty and press the bottom align button. Since the top of the tall field is now above the section - it gets planted to the bottom (way-bottom) of the ever-grown section....

ugh!

Shailesh,

That AI built into the E1 Product - I hope it never gets loose! Imagine what it would do to the rest of humanity, you know, those poor souls that are not, er... , literate.

Thanks for the Reminder!

(db)

Back