Web Application Server 5.0 and/or 5.1

m_powell

Hi everyone

Could someone please offer some help on an issue we currently have.

We currently have WAS5.1 loaded onto our iSeries and this is going to be used for an in-house built app. We now have a requirement to get EnterpriseOne out using WebSphere also but I have been told (via Oracle support) that WAS5.1 is not certified at the service pack level we are on (SP22_Q1 and happy to stay here) but WAS5.0 is ok.

So my question is; can we have two levels of WAS running on the iSeries at the same time. I have been told on one hand that I can and on the other hand that it's best to have only one version at a time.

Please, help!!!

If any more info is required to answer this, please let me know.

Thanks, regards & Merry Christmas.

Malcolm

EnterpriseOne SP22_Q1
iSeries V5R2

To coin a phrase once muttered by a famous CNC guru and instructor I once knew..."it depends". Since WAS on the iSeries is a licpgm, and they use the same subsystem and IFS structure, I'd almost think that it can't be done...unless of course, you have multiple LPAR's, and then the answer is an easy "yes". I wouldn't, though, even if possible, want to toy with the configuration and issues of running different versions of WAS on the same LPAR.

Unless you just have memory to spare on your I-Series, I would offload it to a Wintel box. It will be cheaper and much easier to support. If you DO decide to run WAS on the I-Series than you should consider a seperate LPAR just for WAS. It has a tendency to snatch up all your available resources if not properly tied down.

Back