Upgrade from XE to 8.10/8.11

ShawnCap

Hi list,

We r planning an upgrade from XE to 8.10. Is there someone else out their doing the same. We r thinking of getting help from outside for this...how have you gone about gathering information to reach the right consultants.

Also plz advise on whether we shld go to 8.10 or 8.11...wat r the deciding factors?
Plz share your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
OneWorld Xe (B7333, Service Pack 22, Update 7)
AS/400 DB2

Hi Shawn, maybe this experience is unique to just my company but we started the upgrade process last year August to 8.9. There were so many bugs in 8.9 that after multiple calls to Denver we dropped 8.9 and on PSFT suggestion upgraded to 8.10. Even this had bugs and the last bug in WO commitments just got resolved in march. hence we intend to resume in July. So unless you have compelling reasons there is no need to upgrade from 8.0 sp22 which is a reasonably stable version. we have already sunk so much money into this upgrade that we need to continue. I think the most compelling technical factor could be the unicode capability of 8.10. Functionality-wise no comments yet.

Hi Shawn,

We are in the process of upgrading B733.2 (pre-XE) to 8.10. We are just wrapping up testing. I do know many people opted to delay their upgrades from XE due to the extended support. Overall 8.10 is stable. We use the financial, job cost, distribution, manufacturing and maintenance module. We have found nothing major that would delay our go-live of mid-July. We have encountered problems with a few of the 8.10 canned reports not being loaded properly and Business Functions missing. Some reports had to be copied from the prestine environment. (If reports that use to work don't, always try prestine. That seemed to fix all of them.) We have also identified 5 SARS and am hoping we didn't miss any. Overall, 8.10 is stable, but needs to be thoroughly tested.

Good Luck,
Alma
B733.2 upgrading to 8.10

I echo Alma's statements...we are upgrading from Xe to 8.10. We have done so in a stepwise fashion, upgrading our PY environment in December, then our DV environment in March. We converted our PD enviroment this week, and will test against test data. Will convert our live production data next weekend.

Alms said that she had identified 5 SARs; that is about our count as well. I have been monitoring the discussions of previous conversions, and was a bit panicked when I heard the count of hundreds (or thousands) of ESUs; I was comforted by one of the sage users on this list who added that ESUs should be applied only when the system needed them. I believe that the low number of ESUs for us links back to the applications that we currently use (Financials, Procurement, Payroll). We do have other companies which we may have to bring into the fold which use Sales Order, Manufacturing, Shop Floor, etc. I have a feeling that the number of ESUs to apply will increase at that point.

As Alma said, 8.10 is stable overall, but needs to be tested. In this vein, I advocate the "piecemeal" conversion approach (if it is possible), because it provides multiple opportunities to test the conversion, as well as providing the much needed "dress rehearsal" to convert to 8.10.

Hi,
Can you plsease elaborate me the Work order commitment bugs?Sine we are also planning for 8.10 it would be better if we lnow it.

Thanks all for the reply....from your replies it seems that we are on the right track.
Is there a document that someone can share on database change from XE to 8.10/8.11. Just want to gain some clarity on that side.

Thanks

Shawn
OneWorld Xe (B7333, Service Pack 22, Update 7)
AS/400 DB2

Shawn

Shawn,

We upgraded from XE to 8.9 last year. As someone stated it wasn't pretty. Many critical bugs some of which we had to fix others that had long delays in fixes from Peoplesoft turned a 5 month schedule into a 10 month nightmare. Plus of course more critical bugs turned up after the upgrade - almost all are now resolved.

I've read here that 8.10 is better ... but if you are already stable at XE version (we were before upgrade) then why upgrade? Particularly since both 8.10 and 8.11 support (patches and bug fixes) ceases in 2008.

Regarding 8.11, my understanding is that fat client support is not available after 8.10. Are you already using the web?

Regards,

Hi,

Can you pls tell me that what are the bugs in 8.10.Since we are planning for 8.10 it would be better if know it .

"Can you pls tell me that what are the bugs in 8.10"

...!

As I stated we are on 8.9, not 8.10.
Search the SAR Lists on the Oracle/Peoplesoft Web Site.
There are literally thousands (tens or hundreds of thousands if you include undocumented and undiscovered bugs).

[ QUOTE ]

Dhanu wrote:
Can you pls tell me that what are the bugs in 8.10?

Then Larry Jones wrote:
As I stated we are on 8.9, not 8.10.
Search the SAR Lists on the Oracle/Peoplesoft Web Site.
There are literally thousands (tens or hundreds of thousands if you include undocumented and undiscovered bugs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry -
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I just couldn't help myself...we need some Friday the 13th humor...

Murphy's Computers Laws

and I didn't find this one on the list:

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology -
"There's Always ONE MORE BUG!"

<lol>
Regards,

wink.gif

I have some experience with 8.10 at a few sites. I would compare it to what Xe was like when it first came out. Kinda buggy. There is a tech flash of sorts buried in the Customer Connection that list hundreds of ESU's that are highly reccomended to be applied in order for the software to function properly. Of course that is dependant on which modules you are working with. Apparently there are no more ASU updates in these newer versions of EOne.

Depending on your platform, Unicode can affect performance, in a negative way, and from what I have seen from the CNC side everything in general is about double in size, packages, specfiles, CO database, etc. I don't know if this is a result of unicode, or new functionality, but don't expect any performance gains. CNC activities will take longer unless you increase your hardware, network, etc.

Attached is the ESU compendium that I believe Shawn is referring to. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 90804-810 ESU.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 763
Back