Update 2nd Item Number

Jamie_Yates

Hello All

We have a situation where we need to update about 3 thousand 2nd Item numbers in our system (in all relevant tables). Using the Item master app this would take an age.

I had a look in the knowledge garden and there is a program P40820 that would do it, but this is only in World, NOT in OneWorld XE.
Does anybody know of an easy way of doing this before I begin writing a custom app/batch to do it.

I know there is a UDC (40/IC) that shows all the tables that require updating.

Thanks
Jamie

Jamie,

I had the same issue recently, except it was updating 3rd Item, and the only thing I could do to get around this was create a custom process to use JDE business function in batch. This is what I did:
1. P564101 – Item Master 3rd Item Maintenance appl designed for the entry/change of 3rd Item Number (AITM) field. This program will save all changes to a work file, which will be input to the batch program. A processing option will determine whether the “Update” button (to execute the batch program) is enabled. If enabled, the actual update process is available to be executed immediately. This is OK for only a few items. If disabled, the batch process must be run manually or scheduled at a later time.

2. R564101 – 3rd Item Batch Update Process is the actual (UBE) program that updates the files with the new/changed 3rd Item Number. This batch process will run the JDE business function B4002430 (F0005, Change Second and Third Item Numbers) for each record in the F564101 work file. When the item is finished processing, the record will be deleted from the work file.

This process runs well, except it still takes a long time for each item. However, we decided to disable the "Update" button so the user will not run this during our peak hours. We schedule the UBE to run nightly and ask user to only input up to about 20 or 30 at a time so our other nightly scheduled jobs can run. Since you have a few thousand, possibly you could do something like this and run over a weekend. Just create the records in a work file and a UBE with only a few lines of code, will process each item.

Sorry I couldn't offer any JDE solution.

Jamie,

I had to do this for the 3rd item number. But the same process can be used
for the 2nd item number .

I wrote one program that took information from MS-access (uploaded to a
working file on the AS/400) and ran one program to update the F4101. When I
had a clean file with no duplicates, meaning, I got a good file from the
user. Then I had a seperate program which would update all the master files
throught the who system, one at a time. chaining back to the F4101. Which is
basically 40/IC.

It worked like a charm. I used an RPG program for Speed. I would not want to
do this with a UBE. It would take way too long. The update program only took
about an hour, But I had a big box.