Running OneWorld accros multiple sites

I have a question for Jstooge and anyone else with a large number of users (remote or not):

How many large implementations (>250 users) are using SQL Server for their DBMS?

I'm asking because of a fairly recent thread on record-locking issues where someone said that deadlocks/locking conflicts seemed to be a problem for SQL Server sites with several hundred users or more.

If this is an issue I was wondering if it applied to Spranes situation.

Sign Me Curious

I have one customer that has 400 users on SQL Server 2000 - and they encounter blocks on an occassional basis.

Usually no more than once per day, however - but it is certainly annoying, and it is imperative to have a procedure in place to identify the block as quickly as possible so that it impacts as few users as possible.

Thanks all for the information.... I've provided them with enough "real" data to show them the error in their thought process

Re: RE: Running OneWorld accros multiple sites

Hi,

We have a situation where we are trying to run multiple sites (U.S. and Europe) using 1 database based in the U.S. One of the major concerns we have is what time/date is used when posting? How do we ensure a transaction in the UK does not get posted to a different G/L period due to a time difference?

Did this question come up at all when you looked at locating at 1 site?

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,
I think this issue was addressed in earlier threads. It had to do with a citrix setting to use either the system or user time. Try the search capability on the list.
Regards,
Dave

Mark,

Be carefull chaning the CITRIX or local time. If you have things mapped back to the server you can get mixed date/time stamps.

We are a global company, our answer was that we run OW on GMT. That means that Japan entries are 6 hours behind, while the US is 5-8 hours ahead. Our business day is defined as 0000-2400 GMT. We have a bunch of lawyers all over the world, and they gave it their blessing.

An alternate would be to use 'Dateline time', the time at the international date line. We chose GMT because it is really the only internationally accepted standard.

Hope this helps.

Tom Davidson

Mark,
Postings do not use the date/time stamp when determining GL periods. They look to the GL date and compare it to the company constants to determine the period. This is typicall entered by the user or controlled by update processes. Only on rare occasions is the system date used as the default for the GL date.
pomegran <[email protected]> wrote:Hi,We have a situation where we are trying to run multiple sites (U.S. and Europe) using 1 database based in the U.S. One of the major concerns we have is what time/date is used when posting? How do we ensure a transaction in the UK does not get posted to a different G/L period due to a time difference?Did this question come up at all when you looked at locating at 1 site?RegardsMark
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=52951
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more

World, OW B733X and Xe

Tom,

please send me a picture of your 12 way AS/400 so that I may drool all over
myself and get red with envy.

Colin

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0
Oracle 8i/9i/SQL Server 2K, DB2

Hi,

We will not be using Citrix but HTML.

Thanks
Mark

We have got 40 concurrent user lincense (around 60 in actual. Remember JDE majic formula.) Out of this 60 we have already used around 50. We need to give access to around another 100 + users around the globe. Can we just install oneworld on 3 citrix servers and give access to these users or should we buy more JDE lincese for these additional users. ( I know it will consume just 1 license for each citrix installaion).

Hi,
from technical view, you need just 1 licemce per client (WTS, CITRIX, HTML). This is just a normal a normal installation on a fat-client. But... from legal view, I´m sure, you have to buy for each concurrent user 1 licence from JDEDwards.
Regards
Herbert

A lawyers dream...I have 150 users, but only need 3 Citrix servers, so I
only paid for 3 licenses...I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV, and I
think I could easily win that case.... ;)

Yes, OneWorld will technically treat each Citrix install as a single
installation...but legally, you license users. If you don't license the
100, and get caught....hope your company has a lot of money stashed away
for a rainy day...cause the forcast will be monsoon.

If your company made the investment in OneWorld, which certainly isn't
calling up CompUSA and ordering the latest 50 user edition of XE, I'm
sure the bean counters somewhere made allowances for these additional
users...if not, shame on them.

If I were responsible for system administration, I'd let the powers that
be know that they need to purchase the licenses, in writing, and then
leave it up to them.

JMHO,

Jim

Sound advice Jim, I hope they're listening!

regards
Sid Perkins
Independent IT Consultant
Tel: +44 1304 825003
Mobile: +44 7713158807
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: RE: Running OneWorld accros multiple sites

I believe that if you are licensed for 40 concurrent users (which allows for up to 60 installs of OneWorld) - you can legally have thousands of named users run Oneworld - but only 40 concurrently at any time....

If however, you are licensed to 40 named users - then you can legally only allow 40 users into the system - either all concurrently or not.

It all depends on that fine print. Talk to JDE Contracts - they'll set you straight (ie - don't listen to us - we don't know what we're talking about when it comes to your contract !!!!!!!!!!!)

Jon,
It sounds reasonable. Just because JDE has no way of tracking acctual concurrent users in oneworld, why should the clients bear the cost for it. Good old (A71) days, we had 30 concurrent user and around 200 AS/400 terminals.
Anyway we'll talk to JDE and see. I understand they have now some more fancy words for lincensing.
Thanks for all.

Back