R3482 (MRP) Proccessing Time Issue

Vzhukov

R3482 Top To Bottom MRP Processing takes 2 hours, which is too long. Are there examples of faster processing? What processing time could be a benchmark.
We are using ERP8 verson (B7334), have about 6 levels in the BOM, and about 4000 items in total.
Our Enterprise Server parameters: 2xCPU Pentium4 Xeon 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, RAID5 SCSI Ultra320, Win2k Server, MS SQL 2000 Server.

if I remember correctly, the rule of thumb is 20 minutes per 1000 items.

so 4k items = 1 hr 20 mins.

One of the easiest ways to speed up MRP would be to exclude items, make sure you're not running it over obsolete items, for instance.

Vzhukov,

One other thing that might help is to use SQL to truncate the F3411, F3412 and F3413 tables just before running an MRP Regeneration. Note that this is only if you're doing a FULL regen, not net-change.

Don't know if it's an option for ERP8, but there is also an option to run Parallel MRP runs. I haven't done this, but have seen people in JDEList write about it and have done a bit of reading on it. Maybe it could help your run time, too.

Vzukov,

There are so many variables involved its hard to compare between different locations. For example we have close to 100,000 items, max of 6 levels in BOM, and our processing time is 30 minutes ...

But:
- We are single plant
- Current active Top Level Demand (SO Lines) are < 2000 (low volume)
- Prior to recent upgrade this took 2+ hours to run on a HP 9000 390-2 Unix box.
- We now use a 4-Way Dell Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 6GB RAM, Raid 0+1 on Win 2003
- Database redo logs are on separate controllers/drives

Net, net try for continuous improvement against your own past performance. Unless someone has the same business model and hardware configuration as you, how can you benchmark?

Hello Larry!

I clearly understand about differences between locations but my bosses want to see where we can try to go. So we are interesting even for rough estimate.

You write that prior to recent upgrade it took 2+ hours - what in your opinion the most critical factor was in improving the performance? It seems to me that in my case the reason is not very fast disk subsystem. But now I can't improve it remarkably. Would the RAM increasing be appropriate decision? What other things do you recommend to take into consideration?

Vzhukov,

I would agree with you that disk is the most likely bottleneck.
Particularly since you are using RAID-5 which is not very friendly to high-performance OLTP.

Adding RAM to the box won't help unless you're already experiencing significant paging . . . you're not, are you?

Has anyone looked into tuning SQL Server? How much memory has been allocated, are statistics automatically updated, are you missing indices, ... ? Database tuning is probably the place where you can get the most bang for the buck.

Back